Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OWC Aura for Mac Pro

I have been trying to update my OS to Mojave with no success. When I try to update, to the OWC Aura for Mac Pro (2 TB) it gives me this error

any solutions out there?

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 10:07 AM

37 replies

Feb 21, 2019 3:37 PM in response to lllaass

I see that, but that would wipe out all of my programs, files, emails, etc. thats like starting over and its just not an option for me

the sad part is that if this problem persists and they are making products that cannot be updated natively, it makes these products obsolete for future use

the screenshot I attached to my first post shows apple saying its a "supplier" problem and through the support chat, OWC says its Apple's problem, which is it lol?

they acknowledge that its a problem but really don't offer any practical solutions, very disappointed in this product :(

Feb 22, 2019 10:43 AM in response to lllaass

sounds great in theory

problem is, the way I am understanding this, is that the OS installer will not recognize or install on an external drive so I am having a hard time understanding how to do that with that limitation

not only that but there is a bigger picture here....

to clone my drive twice would require a substantial amount of time invested, the install of any mac os upgrade alone can take a few hours, what you are suggesting is that I spend lets say maybe 6-8 hours of time, cloning, installing, reinstalling, etc. when really OWC should be the ones to make sure that their products are compatible with all future releases of OSX

it scares me that I would have to go to these lengths to "get around" a limitation that really is a defect of OWC's product in which they are charging good money for.

I bought this drive to make my life better and easier, thats not what is happening now, this is a big headache.

not only that, but what about the next release? what about the next 3 releases 2 years down the road? will I have to repeat the process again and spend the amount of time it will take me here and do another "work around"?

thats like putting a band aid on the problem. I hope that OWC would care enough about their customers that they would address this issue directly and make their drives fully compatible and seamless with Apple updates moving forward.

oh and BTW here is what disk utility sees my drive as

Feb 21, 2019 10:22 AM in response to AeroViews

And did you contact the supplier as directed ?

OWC have a lot to of information about EXACTLY how to install that drive and upgrade your Mac Pro at the same time.

There is a certain order for system and firmware updates that MUST be adhered to, so that you get the proper Mac firmware in place BEFORE attempting to use the Aura Pro.

Feb 21, 2019 10:32 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes I have contacted them at least 3 times.

First they told me that if I were to put back my original apple ssd, update that drive to mojave, that it would update all the firmware and then I would be able to reinstall my aura ssd and it will upgrade no problem. Didn't work, same problem persists.

The problem is that I have many programs, files, etc on that drive and the way I am understanding it is that they are saying you have to do a "clean" install. Of course I have a backup but to restore the backup would only restore my old OS.

Feb 21, 2019 3:15 PM in response to AeroViews

That is same as mine.

I would if you can (may not because of size), get the Mojave installation you want on the old SSD. Then with the Aura in the MP clone the original SSD to the Aura. Carbon Copy Cloner work and maybe Super Duper will work.

That is what OWC recommended here, a little past half through the second page.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mojave-install-issue-on-2013-mac-pro.2143738/page-2

Seems that the MP sees the Aura as RAID 0 and now the Mojave installer will not install on a RAID volume.

Feb 21, 2019 3:42 PM in response to AeroViews

It appears that what you want is now on the Aura. If that is the case I would clone the Aura to an external drive. Boot from that drive and ensure it works. Then update to Mojave. Boot and test that Mojave external drive. Then back it up or clone it to another external drive. The

en erase/clone the external drive to the Aura.

Feb 21, 2019 3:49 PM in response to lllaass

haha what????

again not practical

i dont understand how I cant install Mojave on a drive that the installer sees as a RAID or external drive, but it seems that you are telling me to install Mojave onto an external drive, so confused

its really sad that an OWC customer would even have to consider this and what happens on the next update? same process?? - just sad

Feb 21, 2019 5:29 PM in response to AeroViews

Cloning a Mojave install to the Aura may work because the OS is already setup and doesn't see the Aura as a RAID. The installer on the other hand is querying the SSD and it sees a RAID configuration so it doesn't allow it as Apple no longer supports RAID.

I fault both Apple & OWC here, but OWC is more at fault for making a drive which requires a special driver to work. If they are implementing a RAID internally on the Aura, then that should be hidden from the OS. The OS should only see a standard storage device.

Feb 21, 2019 5:45 PM in response to HWTech

Yeah I am pretty sure a forced install in the way you are describing could work. But... and its a big but - all of my data will be erased, I will have to reinstall every program, all my email addresses in mail, files, folders, everything, it would be like starting over and buying a new mac.

That to me is not a reasonable solution for a product from OWC.

Upon digging further I did find that they corrected this for their MacBook pro users.

https://eshop.macsales.com/Service/Knowledgebase/Article/26/730/Aura-SSDs-Firmware-Update-beta

They actually created a firmware update that, in their words...."This firmware update removes that requirement and ensures your Mac will receive the appropriate EFI update as part of the system installation."

I am sure they sold alot more MBP SSD's than the MP SSD

Makes me think they don't see any benefit in developing a fix for their MP users because there are probably not nearly as many. And when i contacted them all three times they were quick to blame Apple, in other words, its out of our hands. But clearly the installer itself says to contact the supplier.

I agree with you that OWC is more at fault, it's their product and it should be made to work seamlessly with Apple products, not the other way around. They are in business because of Apple, not the other way around.

Very disappointed in OWC.

Feb 21, 2019 6:21 PM in response to AeroViews

Is that 4TB drive just a simple drive, or is it also a RAID, pretending to be a "regular" drive (but faster) ?

Can you get your hands on a simple drive in a USB enclosure?

Did you get an enclosure with your new SSD that would allow you to treat the old drive as your boot drive, and update that, then clone it back to the new Aura?

Feb 21, 2019 6:27 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Its a 4TB Sata in an external USB enclosure - no RAID

no enclosure came with the SSD

I do have the original SSD (512GB) that came in the MP and I had even reinstalled it into the machine and then installed Mojave, worked perfect. So Mojave is on that SSD, but the issue is even if I had an enclosure for that specific drive, the second I clone it onto the Aura SSD, all of my stuff is gone :(

OWC Aura for Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.