Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2011 iMac 27 inch GPU / Graphics card change to metal compatible so Mojave can be installed

Hello. Does anyone know if there is a metal compatible graphics card that can be installed in a Mid 2011 iMac 27 inch so that Mojave can be installed on it? My machine still works very well and I don't want to replace it because the GPU does not meet apple requirements for the new OS. I've been reading about some third party compatible GPUs but I don't know which ones are metal compatible. I'm not a gamer and don't render anything. I use it for everyday tasks, some photos, light video streaming on some educational websites (classes) and normal mail / internet / writing usage. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 6:55 PM

Not possible. There are no "cards" that work in an pre-Late 2012 iMac that are Metal-capable. The Metal-capable iMacs don't have cards any more--the video hardware is soldered to and integral with the logic board and cannot be transplanted anywhere. The vido hardware now looks like this:

[image from iFixit.com]

The little "specks" you can see through the heatsink are all the video hardware.

I've been reading about some third party compatible GPUs

Those only work in certain older Mac Pros, not iMacs.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2019 6:55 PM in response to MehTinker70

Not possible. There are no "cards" that work in an pre-Late 2012 iMac that are Metal-capable. The Metal-capable iMacs don't have cards any more--the video hardware is soldered to and integral with the logic board and cannot be transplanted anywhere. The vido hardware now looks like this:

[image from iFixit.com]

The little "specks" you can see through the heatsink are all the video hardware.

I've been reading about some third party compatible GPUs

Those only work in certain older Mac Pros, not iMacs.

Feb 23, 2019 3:53 AM in response to MehTinker70

If you are running High Sierra already, you can expect

macOS security updates for at least a year or two. Even after

that, Apple typically still keeps updating many apps, like

Safari, compatible for even longer.

So, unless you really absolutely have to nave the new features

in Mojave, what you got will still be fine for some time and I

wouldn't worry about it until it dies (if it ever does).

Mid 2011 iMac 27 inch GPU / Graphics card change to metal compatible so Mojave can be installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.