Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make a bootable MacOS on USB while in Windows 10?

I want to make a bootable USB for Mac using my Windows 10. Is it possible? How? Or How can I instal MacOS onto USB while in Windows environment and boot using that USB?

I googled it first but it is way complicated. or am I dummy?

Please, help.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 11:09 PM

Technically it might be possible, but I've never seen any instructions using a non-Apple OS. It is not worth the trouble to figure out except as an exercise to satisfy curiosity. All of the instructions require running the installer to create the bootable USB drive which cannot be done with a non-Apple OS. It is difficult to manually create bootable media for Apple without the use of Apple's tools. Since you need a Mac to download the installer anyway, why not create the USB drive too? If macOS is not currently installed, you may be able to boot into Internet Recovery mode if the system had OSX 10.12.4+ installed at some point.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2019 11:09 PM in response to JIM_Uzb

Technically it might be possible, but I've never seen any instructions using a non-Apple OS. It is not worth the trouble to figure out except as an exercise to satisfy curiosity. All of the instructions require running the installer to create the bootable USB drive which cannot be done with a non-Apple OS. It is difficult to manually create bootable media for Apple without the use of Apple's tools. Since you need a Mac to download the installer anyway, why not create the USB drive too? If macOS is not currently installed, you may be able to boot into Internet Recovery mode if the system had OSX 10.12.4+ installed at some point.

How to make a bootable MacOS on USB while in Windows 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.