Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Available Windows Problem & Solution

Problem: brand new Mac Book Air: when I tried to open anything, a small pop up appeared in the middle of my screen saying "no available windows".

Solution: I was pressing too hard on the new key pad. As soon as I lightened up my touch, the "no available windows"pop up disappeared and I can open everything. Press too hard and it comes up again.

A senior Apple Care person confirmed that this was the issue. He also suggested that I go into System Preferences/Track Pad and uncheck the "Force Click" button.

Why did this happen? I'm used to a 6 year old Mac Book Pro, where the track pad and keyboard require a heavier touch.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 2:47 PM

The newer Apple laptops use a different type of Keyboard & Trackpad. The newer style Trackpad no longer uses physical movement of the Trackpad for activating clicks. It does this electronically and provides simulated feedback so it feels like you actually depressed it including an audible click. There is a sensitivity setting in the Trackpad settings. I've personally found it difficult on some new systems to use it with the Force Click setting enabled. I haven't discovered the secret on how to use it properly myself.

The Keyboards have also been redesigned and uses a different mechanism which can feel different and perhaps even require less force to press the keys. If keys are repeating on you, adjust the repeat speed in the Keyboard System Preferences.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2019 2:47 PM in response to No Technical Talent

The newer Apple laptops use a different type of Keyboard & Trackpad. The newer style Trackpad no longer uses physical movement of the Trackpad for activating clicks. It does this electronically and provides simulated feedback so it feels like you actually depressed it including an audible click. There is a sensitivity setting in the Trackpad settings. I've personally found it difficult on some new systems to use it with the Force Click setting enabled. I haven't discovered the secret on how to use it properly myself.

The Keyboards have also been redesigned and uses a different mechanism which can feel different and perhaps even require less force to press the keys. If keys are repeating on you, adjust the repeat speed in the Keyboard System Preferences.

No Available Windows Problem & Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.