Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need new display glass

I hope somebody can guide me. This is everything I know about my MacBook. It’s a late 2008, the model number is A1278 (of which there are a number of Mars that share this number), 13.3, order number MB062LL/B. The serial number isW876CBZZ63.

Can someone one please tell me where I can buy a replacement display glass? Or a part number so I can research it myself? Idont know why I am having so many problems but I can’t seem to find one.

Additionally, I would like to upgrade the memory and possibly a new SSD. Any recommendations in those areas would also be greatly appreciated!

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 25, 2019 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 12:16 AM

Removing the glass can be difficult. You have to be careful not to damage the LCD Panel, the wireless antennas, camera & camera cables. The glass is held on by very strong adhesive (Apple loves adhesive). You will most likely end up cracking the glass more than it already is with glass shards flying at you. Definitely wear safety glasses. While the glass can be removed while the Display is attached to the laptop, I find it easier to first remove the Display.

Chances are the glass you receive may be pulled from another display. It may or may not come with adhesive pre-installed. Even if it has adhesive, it may not be very good. If the glass arrives without a piece of plastic covering the inside portion, then getting it clean enough is difficult due to the one chance you have with the adhesive. Even with a plastic cover on the inside, the glass may still have blemishes needing to be cleaned and there is always dust. You cannot tell if there is dust or a smear until it is sitting on the Display with the dark LCD behind it. If the pre-installed adhesive is not good, then removing it is a pain and you will need to apply your own adhesive tape.

The vendors I mentioned in the earlier post may sell the glass as well, but may not always have stock. You may be better off buying a complete Display Assembly. The same vendors may sell the Display as well. Check their used Display prices. They have several categories for used parts so you may find a used Display with slight dents or scratches that may be acceptable.

I'm sure there are a lot of other reputable vendors out their selling parts and refurbished laptops.

Once Apple stops supporting the OS for this laptop, then Safari will no longer be updated. Once Safari stops getting updates, you will find some websites that may stop working correctly plus you will be more vulnerable because Safari is not getting security updates. It may take a little while, but it will happen.

Third party browsers are Firefox, Google Chrome, and Vivaldi among others. These browsers may continue to be supported for a while, but it is only a matter of time before they too will stop being updated. Third party browsers (and app developers in general) try their best to support systems as long as possible, but sometimes Apple makes changes on newer systems that force the third party browsers & apps to drop support for older systems.

It is really hard to judge how much time you have before this happens. My guess is two maybe three years tops if you are running OSX 10.11. But this is just a guess and I could be wrong. Your laptop is 10 years old.

When this happens, there is an option to install a non-Apple OS such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint on this laptop which should run quite well with 4GB of RAM, but it is not for everyone. Both include multiple graphical user interfaces which can be overwhelming to new users (KDE and LXDE are my personal favorites with Mate coming in third). It requires learning a new OS. You also won't be able to use many of the familiar proprietary apps, but it will keep you online. And it is free.

According to this site, this laptop may be able to unofficially support 8GB of RAM (2x4GB) if it has Boot ROM version MB51.007D.B03. Double-check that I selected the correct laptop there.

Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2019 12:16 AM in response to Bobthesuper

Removing the glass can be difficult. You have to be careful not to damage the LCD Panel, the wireless antennas, camera & camera cables. The glass is held on by very strong adhesive (Apple loves adhesive). You will most likely end up cracking the glass more than it already is with glass shards flying at you. Definitely wear safety glasses. While the glass can be removed while the Display is attached to the laptop, I find it easier to first remove the Display.

Chances are the glass you receive may be pulled from another display. It may or may not come with adhesive pre-installed. Even if it has adhesive, it may not be very good. If the glass arrives without a piece of plastic covering the inside portion, then getting it clean enough is difficult due to the one chance you have with the adhesive. Even with a plastic cover on the inside, the glass may still have blemishes needing to be cleaned and there is always dust. You cannot tell if there is dust or a smear until it is sitting on the Display with the dark LCD behind it. If the pre-installed adhesive is not good, then removing it is a pain and you will need to apply your own adhesive tape.

The vendors I mentioned in the earlier post may sell the glass as well, but may not always have stock. You may be better off buying a complete Display Assembly. The same vendors may sell the Display as well. Check their used Display prices. They have several categories for used parts so you may find a used Display with slight dents or scratches that may be acceptable.

I'm sure there are a lot of other reputable vendors out their selling parts and refurbished laptops.

Once Apple stops supporting the OS for this laptop, then Safari will no longer be updated. Once Safari stops getting updates, you will find some websites that may stop working correctly plus you will be more vulnerable because Safari is not getting security updates. It may take a little while, but it will happen.

Third party browsers are Firefox, Google Chrome, and Vivaldi among others. These browsers may continue to be supported for a while, but it is only a matter of time before they too will stop being updated. Third party browsers (and app developers in general) try their best to support systems as long as possible, but sometimes Apple makes changes on newer systems that force the third party browsers & apps to drop support for older systems.

It is really hard to judge how much time you have before this happens. My guess is two maybe three years tops if you are running OSX 10.11. But this is just a guess and I could be wrong. Your laptop is 10 years old.

When this happens, there is an option to install a non-Apple OS such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint on this laptop which should run quite well with 4GB of RAM, but it is not for everyone. Both include multiple graphical user interfaces which can be overwhelming to new users (KDE and LXDE are my personal favorites with Mate coming in third). It requires learning a new OS. You also won't be able to use many of the familiar proprietary apps, but it will keep you online. And it is free.

According to this site, this laptop may be able to unofficially support 8GB of RAM (2x4GB) if it has Boot ROM version MB51.007D.B03. Double-check that I selected the correct laptop there.

Good luck.

Feb 25, 2019 7:17 PM in response to Bobthesuper

Searching for this MB062LL/B points me to a white MacBook. The serial number was incomplete. If this is the case, then the part you are looking for is the LCD Panel as the white MacBook did not use glass AFAIK.

IIRC this Macbook has a maximum of 4GB of memory (2x2GB).

With the age of this laptop and its limitations are you sure it is worth putting money into it especially if you need an LCD Panel? It won't be long before the third party browsers stop supporting the older versions of OSX which this system can use and you won't be able to get online.

Reliable vendors to get an LCD Panel are PowerBook Medic and iFixIt.

Make sure to buy name brand RAM made for use in Apple products. Be extremely careful if you buy used RAM. Cheap no name RAM will most likely give you nothing but intermittent problems. Apple hardware can be particular about the RAM it uses. What seems like identically spec'd memory (even from a name brand) may not always work on Apple hardware. At one time Crucial actually marked "For Mac" on their memory. Crucial memory without this labeling wasn't always guaranteed to work. I don't know if Crucial still does this or not.

Crucial is a good choice for an affordable SSD. I would recommend their MX500 over the BX500. The MX500 won't be able to perform at its best due to the SATA II controller limitation of the MacBook, but if you later move it to another system you will be glad you have it. The BX500 is an economy model drive and it may perform the same as a traditional hard drive since it is the most basic of SSDs without any fancy features.

Stay with a name brand for the SSD. Best choices are Crucial, Samsung and OWC. There are many off brands that will just cause you problems. You also want brands that allow you to update the SSD's firmware on a Mac. This is usually done by downloading a manual updater in an .iso format to be "burned" onto a USB drive. Some brands only provide firmware updates using Windows.

Feb 25, 2019 9:27 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you very much. This is very helpful. My MacBook is an aluminum unibody, so I’m relatively certain it has a glass in front of the LCD. So if you would be so kind as to refer me to a source for the glass I would be very grateful. I understand your concern about the age of my Mac and I think you for the input. I’m not sure exactly what you mean about third party browsers. I use Safari almost exclusively, does that matter or am I still in danger?

My dilemma is that I’m on a fixed income SSA. And the 2 or 300 dollars to get it upgraded is far better for me than $1,200 and up for a new one. I have considered refurbished but the price difference is still substantial (at least the ones I’ve seen) and I’m not sure I trust refurbished.

Need new display glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.