Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac freezes then shuts down, every 1-2 days, after very light use

I have an iMac, purchased in 2016 (Retina 5K, late 2015, 3.3GHz Core i5, 32GB RAM, high sierra 10.13.6) which worked fine until a few months ago when it started freezing for no apparent reason.

If I have the sound volume set, I hear a crack, like a whip cracking as the computer freezes.

Light usage is, for example, when I could be just writing a short email when this problem happens, or when I'm just looking at a webpage, scrolling and clicking or clicking browser tabs. This problem has made this computer virtually unusable.

After this freeze, the computer then shuts down and because I have set it to restart when that happens, the computer boots up again. But because this restart does't load all my software properly, I have to click restart when the login window appears.

I have a USB external hard disk connected to the Mac but nothing else, other than a wireless keyboard & mouse.

Also, when it restarts, it loads an app (spotify) which was not running when the computer crashed and I cannot find how to stop this from happening. Spotify is not set to automatically open when I login under my user name in system prefs.

(P.S. I can't see where I can edit my hardware in my profile here, and as I have 2 27" iMacs, I don't know if I have picked the right one from the list shown by the forum in "What device is this about").

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2019 12:15 PM

You're in the right place.

You might consider using "Safe Mode" long enough to determine whether the problem exists or not while using your Mac in that mode, but given the problem's infrequent occurrence you are unlikely to find it a practicable troubleshooting step: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Using a Mac in "Safe Mode" is intended to be a troubleshooting mode only, and it's generally uncomfortable to use a Mac in that mode for more than a few minutes.

Another option to consider is Apple Diagnostics: How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

It may identify a specific fault, which would be conclusive, and require a trip to the Genius Bar. If it finds nothing wrong though, it's still going to require a trip to the Genius Bar.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2019 12:15 PM in response to Magsolo

You're in the right place.

You might consider using "Safe Mode" long enough to determine whether the problem exists or not while using your Mac in that mode, but given the problem's infrequent occurrence you are unlikely to find it a practicable troubleshooting step: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Using a Mac in "Safe Mode" is intended to be a troubleshooting mode only, and it's generally uncomfortable to use a Mac in that mode for more than a few minutes.

Another option to consider is Apple Diagnostics: How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

It may identify a specific fault, which would be conclusive, and require a trip to the Genius Bar. If it finds nothing wrong though, it's still going to require a trip to the Genius Bar.

iMac freezes then shuts down, every 1-2 days, after very light use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.