Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Text Tone on iPhone when using iWatch

Seriously annoyed with this issue on the iPhoine and it needs to change, its now costing me and my business money because I miss text messages constantly .

The issue sfor those who dont know is by design, when using an iPhone and its locked it will route all text messages notifaction alerts to the iWatch. If the phone is unlocked it will not. Therefore a locked iphine will not notify you of a message with the text tone instead it comes out to the watch. If the watch is on silent (which is can be if the phone has been switched to silent duering the day, the watch stay on silent) you don't get anything.

Not sure who thought through this use case scenario but its doesn't work at all. I have a watch and a phone and I need both to notify me of a message. If i don't want to hear either I have a silent button on both

Please fix this issue in the next release. I'm getting seriously close to throwing the watch in the bin

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 4:45 PM

You Probably need to reread the original post. Im not putting either device on silent unless I need to like a meeting.

If if your phone is locked and you receive a text message it does not provide the text alert sound on the phone. It transfers it to the watch.

The process should be that both devices provide the text notification always unless either of there are on silent.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2019 4:45 PM in response to askbarnabas

You Probably need to reread the original post. Im not putting either device on silent unless I need to like a meeting.

If if your phone is locked and you receive a text message it does not provide the text alert sound on the phone. It transfers it to the watch.

The process should be that both devices provide the text notification always unless either of there are on silent.

Feb 27, 2019 5:11 AM in response to GhostriderSix

It is working they way Apple designed it.

You can turn off Apple Watch notifications and then get all your notifications on the iPhone by using the iPhone "Watch" app -> Messages -> Notifications Off

But you cannot have both devices make a sound, as you have found out.

You can send Apple Watch Feedback and ask for a feature change

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

They will not reply, but it does get read.

Feb 26, 2019 6:27 AM in response to GhostriderSix

If the watch is on silent (which is can be if the phone has been switched to silent duering the day, the watch stay on silent) you don't get anything.

On your phone, go to the Watch app. Go to General>Do Not Disturb>Mirror iPhone and turn it off. That way, your watch will not get switched to silent when your phone is. Also, go to Sounds & Haptics. Mke sure that Haptic Alerts are enabled and that you have ticked "Prominent'.

Feb 26, 2019 5:42 AM in response to GhostriderSix

You are saying that you are not getting your important messages because YOU set both devices to silent so you wont be bothered. How is that an Apple issue? You can set your do not disturb to allow certain calls and texts to go through no matter what. Your issue is caused by you not by a design flaw. You can also set the watch to vibrate for texts.

No Text Tone on iPhone when using iWatch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.