Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This library contains items that need to download from iCloud Photos.

I got this pop-up and chose to delete the incomplete photos. My question is: is the library now going to download them from the iCloud or not?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 1:40 PM

Hi, thanks for your response. I restored the Photos Library from a backup (changed my Mac several days ago so I basically restored the old Mac to the new) and only today did I get the pop-up (I did open the Photos a couple of times in the meantime). When I realised it was either accept or quit, I accepted to delete the incomplete items, and then followed the instructions:

To download the complete library, delete the incomplete items, then set this

library as the System Photo Library in Preferences and enable iCloud Photos.

This will disable iCloud Photos on any other libraries.

Now I have 960 photos as opposed to 6,000 on iCloud. So you are basically saying that the 5,000 missing photos will sync to the library? Does it make any difference if I choose Download Originals to this Mac or Optimise Mac Storage?

Thanks again!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2019 1:40 PM in response to léonie

Hi, thanks for your response. I restored the Photos Library from a backup (changed my Mac several days ago so I basically restored the old Mac to the new) and only today did I get the pop-up (I did open the Photos a couple of times in the meantime). When I realised it was either accept or quit, I accepted to delete the incomplete items, and then followed the instructions:

To download the complete library, delete the incomplete items, then set this

library as the System Photo Library in Preferences and enable iCloud Photos.

This will disable iCloud Photos on any other libraries.

Now I have 960 photos as opposed to 6,000 on iCloud. So you are basically saying that the 5,000 missing photos will sync to the library? Does it make any difference if I choose Download Originals to this Mac or Optimise Mac Storage?

Thanks again!

Feb 26, 2019 12:42 PM in response to SnoWWhite018

Did you move a Photos Library to a different drive? Or restore a Photos Library from a backup?

When you open a copy of a library, that has been syncing with iCloud Photos, and the library used the "optimize Storage" option, all incomplete photos need to be removed. Before you allow this, you will not be able to use the library at all.

Once you can open the library, you can make it your System Photo Library and enable iCloud Photos. All photos an albums that are still in iCloud will sync to this library.

This library contains items that need to download from iCloud Photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.