Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group iMessage sender shows up as Unknown, but all sender/recipients are actually in the Contacts list

On an iPhone 7 Plus, at iOS 12.1, I deleted some group messages that were from a sender (J) to myself (M) and 2 others (A, G). I then got another group message from J to M, A, and G, but now the sender is indicated as Unknown. Contacts J, A and G are still in my Contacts. How do I get back to their names being displayed? I did the turn off/on "Send iMessages" setting, but to no avail. Anything else to try? Thanks.

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2019 1:47 PM

OK, doing a reboot cleared things up. Another detail, one of the contacts was an Android phone, so not surprisingly, communication format was dumbed down to SMS/MMS from iMessages. Now I never deleted an iPhone-only group message, but either way, it sounds like the iMessage app is pretty fragile if it can be broken this.way.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2019 1:47 PM in response to gkd720

OK, doing a reboot cleared things up. Another detail, one of the contacts was an Android phone, so not surprisingly, communication format was dumbed down to SMS/MMS from iMessages. Now I never deleted an iPhone-only group message, but either way, it sounds like the iMessage app is pretty fragile if it can be broken this.way.

Group iMessage sender shows up as Unknown, but all sender/recipients are actually in the Contacts list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.