Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force captive portal sign in page to open

On both my iPhone and MBP I can't get the captive portal I'm using to open. Both think they are connected, but can't be until I can manually enter UN and PW for my captive portal account. This happened a lot last year. Then went away. As soon as I clicked on portal wifi, log in page opened. Tonight neither phone or MBPcan open log in. Stuck

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2019 1:16 PM

I came up with an inelegant solution. Since this is a problem others have had and thus far nothing that works has been presented, I'll add my work-around.

I managed to get the captive portal sign-in to open if I shut down my computer and turned it back on. With wifi off. then when turned wifi on, sign-in page came up. but this was erratic.

So one time when it worked, I copied the captive portal url. then when safari was open I pasted it in and the sign in page opened.

Now I have bookmarked the sign-in and simply go to it. Autofill even enters my user name and password.

hope this works for others.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2019 1:16 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

I came up with an inelegant solution. Since this is a problem others have had and thus far nothing that works has been presented, I'll add my work-around.

I managed to get the captive portal sign-in to open if I shut down my computer and turned it back on. With wifi off. then when turned wifi on, sign-in page came up. but this was erratic.

So one time when it worked, I copied the captive portal url. then when safari was open I pasted it in and the sign in page opened.

Now I have bookmarked the sign-in and simply go to it. Autofill even enters my user name and password.

hope this works for others.

Feb 27, 2019 9:14 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

I must admit I stole the idea for that hotspot-detect link from another poster on Apple Support Communities. I do not have a deep understanding of why it should work. When I enter it on my (already-established) link in Safari:

http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html

I get a new blank page with only the word

Success

in the top left corner, and nothing else.

Feb 27, 2019 7:49 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Would you pls check link. I get a blank page. This URL. http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html

In read all I could in discussions. It's Been a problem now for3 yes. No problem for months and now can't get online on phone or MBP. Wife's iPhone and iPad have no problem opening sign in when turn on wifi.

my device s think connected and stop there.

Mar 2, 2019 1:29 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

There is a possibility that if you have a cranky server and bad or missing DNS numbers, or the DNS numbers are simply the numbers of the Router, you may not be able to get your web page request out. This could mean you can't generate any traffic for the server to incept and give you the login page.

Try entering 1.1.1.1 to generate some traffic. That is the web page of a new more secure DNS lookup service, AND it responds with an HTLM splash page, which can be intercepted to trigger the login page.

Feb 27, 2019 12:33 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

The postings I was reading indicated that when you see the word "Success" on a blank page you are on the network now. The "success" text is fetched from the Internet from captive.apple.com.

Just generate some more traffic of any description and you should get re-directed to the login page for the network, or get full internet access.

Force captive portal sign in page to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.