Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS iCloud Backup and Restore?

Hi,

I am trying to backup my iPad to iCloud to restore it (I know I can also do this via iTunes).

My iPad (latest iOS 12.x) has iAnnotate PDF (for example). When I check in:

General > iPad Storage

it shows 500+MB of documents/data (lots of PDFs).

iAnnotate PDF ... 550+GB (Documents & Data)

I've done an iCloud backup and it has completed successfully.

When I check in Name > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups I can see the particular backup and it displays as 37.5GB in size.

When I look inside the backup it reports the size as 40.25 GB (bigger for some reason) but the stranger thing is the UI shows: "CHOOSE DATA TO BACKUP" with the different apps, the size of the data, and a slider on-or-off for each application.

Surely that's "choose data to restore"? It's a bit late now to choose what to backup....? Or will that apply to future backups? Strange place to offer this option but perhaps it has to do with it being a long list and saving people jumping back and forward.

Anyway, what is really worrying me is that when I scroll down and find "iAnnotate PDF" (remember it showed as having 500+MB of data in Manage Storage), the entry only has 61KB size. I am worried that it wasn't backed up (and thus I won't be able to restore all the PDFs.

iAnnotate PDF (61KB) Slider = On

Can anyone please explain what is happening?

Thanks,

Ashley.

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2019 1:48 PM

You will only see the restore dialog/option after erasing the device and running the set up assistant.

You will come to a screen in the process called "Apps and Data". At that point you sign in to iCloud and you will see the backups you have available.

2 replies

Feb 27, 2019 11:19 PM in response to singh49asda

Thank you for your reply @singh49asda

I did only expect to see restore dialog/option after erasing the device...

I was just confused to see option to "choose data to backup" in the display of a particular backup on iCloud.

Most concerning thing is, however, that the size of the backup for iAnnotate PDF seems to indicate it doesn’t include the data, so I am worried it won't restore when I reset etc.

iOS iCloud Backup and Restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.