Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black vertical line on left side when opening Safair browser on iPhone XR

Hello,

When I freshly open the Safari browser on my iPhone XR, there is a black vertical line that temporarily appears on the left side of the screen. It disappears after a split second. See image below.

This only happens if Safari is initially fully closed (not just minimized), so close it from the app switcher, and then opened. I'm on iOS 12.1.4

Is this a known occurrence? Is this a hardware issue or software glitch?

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 27, 2019 10:49 AM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2019 12:21 PM in response to geratheg

Hey, geratheg.

I see that there's a vertical line that temporarily appears when you start using Safari on your iPhone XR. I'm happy to help.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Restart your iPhone. Once it's returned to the Home screen, test the issue.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- If restarting your iPhone didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe. In order to back up your Health data, the backup needs to be encrypted. iCloud does this automatically, but iTunes doesn't. If you'd like to use iTunes to back up your iPhone, refer to this article: About encrypted backups in iTunes

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- When an application isn't working as expected, a good step is deleting and reinstalling the app. Since you can't delete the Safari application on your iPhone, I'd like for you to reinstall the iOS. The section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. Check Safari once your phone is back to the Home screen.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Black vertical line on left side when opening Safair browser on iPhone XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.