Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does 38mm band fit 40mm Apple Watch?

Did the 38 mm band fits Apple Watch series 4 (40 mm ) one ?

[Re-Titled by Host]

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Feb 28, 2019 3:22 AM

9 replies

Mar 2, 2019 10:35 AM in response to Branta_uk

1. Apple watches are measured by height or display, not diagonal.
  2. I think that I was confused by the numbers and the fact that they are selling both series 3 and 4 watches. The band that fits the 40 mm Series 4 will not fit the 44 mm Series 4, but the band that fits the 42 mm Series 3 will fit the 44 mm Series 4. Is that what you are saying?

Thanks

Mar 1, 2019 10:18 PM in response to Branta_uk

And yet at the Apple store they sell the same style/color in two models, one labeled for 40 mm and the other for 44 mm. And the specifications state that the 44 mm (high) watch is also 4 mm wider than the 40 mm (high) watch. And the band for the 44 mm watch is longer than the band for the 40 mm watch. But I’ll take your word for it if you’ve actually put a 42 mm band on a 44 mm watch and it fit.

Mar 2, 2019 1:36 AM in response to sallenmd

I sense some confusion, because the watch size is described by the diagonal size of the display not the width of the band mounting channel. Apple simply used a thinner surround in the Series 4 so the active area is slightly wider in a case which is about the same size as the previous versions.

The 38mm and 40mm watches use the same (smaller) range of bands. The 42mm and 44mm Watches use the same (larger) bands.

Mar 3, 2019 6:05 AM in response to sallenmd

I think you’re wrong about the case dimension because the convention since screens were first invented is to measure the diagonal, and at least in Series 3 the case dimension is 38.6mm and 42.5mm which should round up to the next integer with 39 and 43mm. However that is academic because you got the right idea about the crossover between earlier models and Series 4. Consider each range to have two variants, small case and large case, and bands come in two widths either small or large case compatible.

Mar 3, 2019 9:21 AM in response to Branta_uk

Actually, I'm right. Watch faces are measured differently than "screens". Google it. For example: "Unlike traditional watches, which measure case size horizontally, Apple measures the Apple Watch vertically. The smaller of the two watch sizes has a height of 38mm (specifically, 38.6mm); the larger, 42mm." You are correct that it does not matter for band measurments.

Does 38mm band fit 40mm Apple Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.