Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I lost Photos from my existing Photos when I migrated. How can I recover those photos?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 2, 2019 8:48 AM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2019 10:13 AM in response to josephfromcorona

Can you tell us why you think you lost photos? From what version of iPhoto were you migrating from - 9.6.1? Have you checked the total number of photos, videos and other items (Photos will also import music files) in the new Photos library (at the bottom of the Photos view)

vs what's in the iPhoto library?

iPhoto 9.6.1 can still open the library with the .migratedphotolibrary extension.

Mar 2, 2019 12:09 PM in response to josephfromcorona

What version of iPhoto did you have?

You only have one iMac, correct? The only thing I can think of is to change the .migratedphotolibrary extension to .ipohotolibrary and do another migration.

If that fails to get all of the files you can open the iPhoto Library package, move the Masters folder to the Desktop and then import the subfolders containing the image files a few at a time into your Photos library. Photos will detect duplicates and give your the choice to import only the new ones:

Were any of the photos in the iPhoto library "referenced" photos? If so those would not be migrated and would not be in the iPhoto library's system.

Mar 2, 2019 11:54 AM in response to léonie

I exported photos from iPhoto on my iMac (Yosemite) to an external hard drive. When I opened the external hard drive on my iMac (Mojave), I was prompted to merge to Photos. The photos from March 2017 to February 2019 disappeared, the only photos present are from May 2011 to March 2017. I would like to recover my photos from March 2017 to February 2019.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.