Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a new unlocked iPhone work with any carrier

Posted on Mar 3, 2019 6:29 AM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2019 11:29 AM in response to andreafromadelaide

That wasn't exactly the question I had. The original question was a replacement iPhone 6 that the store gave me because when I took it my original iPhone 6 in for the battery exchange the battery was already swelling in the case and the store person stated that they weren't allowed to open it at that point so they gave me a new replacement 6. I didn't know if there might be an internal difference in the phones or not (TDMA, CDMA). I'm selling this new iPhone 6 which has never been activated or sim installed since I already purchased a new X. I just wanted to be sure so when I sold it I wasn't giving the buyer bad info and it would work on any system.

Mar 5, 2019 11:47 AM in response to genefromoxford

Your last post is completely different from your original question. So, now you say that you have an iPhone 6 which is a replacement phone that has not been activated or a SIM card inserted. It would be difficult to know if that phone is unlocked. It is my understanding that if the original phone that you had was purchased as an unlocked phone, then a replacement phone should also be unlocked. If and when you sell this phone, you may want to tell the buyer that it may be locked to a carrier and you are not sure of its status.

Mar 7, 2019 5:55 AM in response to KiltedTim

Your second sentence answered my question. Also since I knew I was going to replace the 6 with a X I called my carrier, Consumer Cellular, and had the 6 unlocked since I had it for 4 years. I was taking advantage of Apples battery exchange program and was going to sell or donate the 6 after I had a new battery installed. As it turned out the battery in my 6 was just starting to swell although the phone was still working fine. The Apple store person stated that since swelling was occurring store personnel weren't allowed to open it thus they would give me a new replacement 6 for the cost of the battery which was 29.95 as I remember. So the replacement phone was never activated or a sim card inserted. I called Apple support and they verified that since it was never setup, activated and sim installed that it was an unlocked phone compatible with any carrier.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.