Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off iCloud without losing photos?

How can I turn off iCloud without losing photos?

iPhone 5s, iOS 10

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2019 7:02 AM

Hi there, mr_scaramanga.

I see that you're wanting to turn off iCloud Photos on your iOS device, but you don't want to lose your photos. I'm happy to help.

Get help with iCloud Photos -- If you're using iCloud Photos to sync your photos and videos across two or more devices, follow the steps below:

"How do I turn off iCloud Photos on only one device?

You can turn off iCloud Photos on a single device when you follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud. Next to Photos, click Options, then deselect iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photos.*

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photos. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photos, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos."

Download photos and videos from iCloud.com -- If you're using iCloud Photos on only one device, I recommend downloading the photos and videos that you'd like to keep to a Mac or PC.

Use iCloud Photos on iPhone -- Once your photos and videos are stored on your computer, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, and turn it off.

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2019 7:02 AM in response to mr_scaramanga

Hi there, mr_scaramanga.

I see that you're wanting to turn off iCloud Photos on your iOS device, but you don't want to lose your photos. I'm happy to help.

Get help with iCloud Photos -- If you're using iCloud Photos to sync your photos and videos across two or more devices, follow the steps below:

"How do I turn off iCloud Photos on only one device?

You can turn off iCloud Photos on a single device when you follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud. Next to Photos, click Options, then deselect iCloud Photos.*
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photos.*

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photos. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photos, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos."

Download photos and videos from iCloud.com -- If you're using iCloud Photos on only one device, I recommend downloading the photos and videos that you'd like to keep to a Mac or PC.

Use iCloud Photos on iPhone -- Once your photos and videos are stored on your computer, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, and turn it off.

Have a great day!

Turn off iCloud without losing photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.