Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Captain

Hello,

After the failure and change of HDD on the SSD,

I am trying to install MBP 1286 from 2009 with the new system, ie EL Captain.

I still get this message: This item is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.What can i do ?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 9:34 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 4, 2019 11:54 AM in response to tomasz196

The model A1286 was used for:

• MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008
  • MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2009
  • MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2010
  • MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011
  • MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011.

The 2009 tops out at El Capitan, and some other A1286 models top out at High Sierra.

Assuming 2009: download El Capitan to and then create a bootable installer (with related instructions) on another Mac, and then transfer that installer to the target Mac.

Boot that installer, and use Disk Utility to wipe and partition as GPT and format the internal storage as HFS+, and then use that installer to install El Capitan on the target Mac.

If you have a later A1286 model and specifically one that's supported on High Sierra, you'll first have to install El Capitan... Then check that your key apps are supported, backup, and upgrade.

Make certain you have at least one external backup created before upgrading. Upgrades don't fail very often, but they do fail.

Apple has been making the older releases tougher to get (for folks that haven't previously used the release with their Apple ID), and this including from Recovery. For cases such as this, Apple intends the seller to install the software, not the buyer. The seller will usually have the older releases associated with their Apple ID, too.

El Captain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.