Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change aspect ratio in IMovie?

Is there a way to change the aspect ratio in IMovie. I am looking to have more of a banner format. Wide and not tall. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Mar 7, 2019 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2019 12:58 PM

After clicking the blue reset button in the upper right to apply the crop, you then drag your clip into the project. The procedure as I described it, using the Project Media view, assumes that you already had the uncropped clip in your project so that it appears in the Project Media view. You can also do the crop procedure in the Library media browser view.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2019 12:58 PM in response to Rich839

After clicking the blue reset button in the upper right to apply the crop, you then drag your clip into the project. The procedure as I described it, using the Project Media view, assumes that you already had the uncropped clip in your project so that it appears in the Project Media view. You can also do the crop procedure in the Library media browser view.

-- Rich

Mar 7, 2019 12:53 PM in response to NaplesPelican

Yes, you can get a banner look, but it will require cropping. Here's the help link that explains how to crop a clip in the browser:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mova56757e7e

So, you can open a project and In the Project Media view you select the clip you want to crop. Then click on the crop icon (the one that looks like intersecting angles) in the tool bar at the top of your screen. Then click on the Crop button that appears to the left above the preview screen. Adjustment rectangles will appear that let you adjust to any dimension that you want. Then click on the blue Reset button on the upper right of the screen to set the crop. The sequence looks like this:

-- Rich

How to change aspect ratio in IMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.