Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete photos from camera roll on the iPad without deleting them from an album

I have added photos to an album but want to delete them from the camera roll to save scrolling through thousands of photos to find one I want. I don’t want to delete them completely so can I just save the ones in the album or do I need to create albums for everything?

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 3:36 AM

When you create albums on an iOS device, they don’t really contain copies of the actual photos themselves. They merely contain pointers/shortcuts to the photos. Therefore, if you delete a photo from the camera roll, you also delete it from any albums in which you placed it. iOS created albums are for local organization only and cannot be synced to a computer either.

If you don’t want to scroll through thousands of photos in order to get to the the ones that you want, it would be a good idea to create albums for all of them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2019 3:36 AM in response to Honda6NSX

When you create albums on an iOS device, they don’t really contain copies of the actual photos themselves. They merely contain pointers/shortcuts to the photos. Therefore, if you delete a photo from the camera roll, you also delete it from any albums in which you placed it. iOS created albums are for local organization only and cannot be synced to a computer either.

If you don’t want to scroll through thousands of photos in order to get to the the ones that you want, it would be a good idea to create albums for all of them.

Can I delete photos from camera roll on the iPad without deleting them from an album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.