Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering everything from one devise to another!!

Hi Everyone!

I bought a new mac book pro and would like to get all my photos from my old mac book to my new one. I have over 11,000 photos! I also need to get everything in my iTunes over.

What is the quickest and most effective way I can do this?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 7:11 AM

I am usually using the Setup Assistant to transfer all content from an old Mac to a new one.

When I install the system on the new Mac, the Setup Assistent will ask, if we want to transfer data from an old Mac or a Time Machine backup. This is the best moment to transfer Photo Libraries and iTunes Libraries, because it is done , before a new user account is created. During the first setup we can avoid problems with file ownership, when the user accounts are transferred with all data as they are. We can also inherit the Time Machine backup.

If you already set up a new user account and need only to transfer your libraries, do it by copying the photo libraries from your old Mac to an external drive, that has the file system format MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag set. Copy the libraries from this volume to your new Mac. The flag is important to avoid copy errors. How to prepare the drive is described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2019 7:11 AM in response to adele532

I am usually using the Setup Assistant to transfer all content from an old Mac to a new one.

When I install the system on the new Mac, the Setup Assistent will ask, if we want to transfer data from an old Mac or a Time Machine backup. This is the best moment to transfer Photo Libraries and iTunes Libraries, because it is done , before a new user account is created. During the first setup we can avoid problems with file ownership, when the user accounts are transferred with all data as they are. We can also inherit the Time Machine backup.

If you already set up a new user account and need only to transfer your libraries, do it by copying the photo libraries from your old Mac to an external drive, that has the file system format MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag set. Copy the libraries from this volume to your new Mac. The flag is important to avoid copy errors. How to prepare the drive is described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Transfering everything from one devise to another!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.