Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How secure is SIRI?

I have had people tell me that they would be having a conversation about a particular topic - not on phone-and would then start getting adverts about topic.

How secure is SIRI. Does it record, all the time, what you say ? Does Apple sell the your SIRI requests to third parties?

Peter

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 8:30 AM

You are never recorded by Apple. NEVER. When you use Siri your request is sent to speech processing servers to be interpreted, and the response is then looked up by those servers and sent back to your phone. Your request and the response are saved to improve Siri's skills, but they are not associated with you; they are anonymized.

Beyond that Siri listens locally on your phone for "Hey Siri", but ignores anything else that you say.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2019 8:30 AM in response to TheLittles

You are never recorded by Apple. NEVER. When you use Siri your request is sent to speech processing servers to be interpreted, and the response is then looked up by those servers and sent back to your phone. Your request and the response are saved to improve Siri's skills, but they are not associated with you; they are anonymized.

Beyond that Siri listens locally on your phone for "Hey Siri", but ignores anything else that you say.

Mar 8, 2019 8:25 AM in response to Peter Edwards1

I've heard this type of thing too. But, when I asked for proof from different people who say that.. they were unable to produce any. It's likely people repeating what they have heard without any real evidence.

Apple is focused on privacy and they don't sell your personal information. I think that if Siri were always on and recording, and transmitting the recordings to Apple, our battery life would be much shorter than it is.

How secure is SIRI?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.