Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autocorrect Apostrophe Glitch: iPhone X running iOS 12.1.4

I am running into an annoying glitch when typing on my 3 month old iPhone X, running the most up-to-date software as of this post. Whenever I type words with an apostrophe, there is a non-zero chance that autocorrect will try to change a normal word into something completely bogus.

For example, when I type the word "it's", it can sometimes happen that the "t's" gets highlighted and autocorrected to " .'a ", with " .'so " listed as an additional suggestion. I had to type "it's" three times in a row to recreate the glitch on the fourth type.

I tried to reset my keyboard settings, through Settings>Reset>Reset Keyboard Dictionary, but then today I was typing the word "isn't" and it autocorrected to "Ian.'to". I had to then type "isn't" thirteen more times to recreate the glitch, and an alternate suggestion was "sin.'the".

I have created my own text shortcuts as workarounds for some other contracted words that autocorrect doesn't catch, and have listed them below:

canMt>can't

canMy>can't

didMt>didn't

doesnMt>doesn't

donMt>don't

donMy>don't

havenMt>haven't

itMs>it's

thatMs>that's

weMre>we're

These were created before I ever ran into the glitch, so I'm not sure if they have any connection to the bug I am experiencing. Either way, it seems that the most recent version of Autocorrect has some issues with apostrophes.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues, or have any advice for a workaround?

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2019 10:47 PM

I've been experiencing the same thing, and it has been driving me crazy. I think I finally figured out a solution though. Go to Settings -> General -> Keyboards -> Text Replacement and add a Phrase 't with Shortcut 't. This seems to have fixed the issue for me. The apostrophe t in "don't" no longer gets auto-corrected to "don.'this" or some other gibberish. It now stays as "don't". We can't be the only ones experiencing this problem though. Apple really should fix the issue.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2019 10:47 PM in response to BennyBoyPro

I've been experiencing the same thing, and it has been driving me crazy. I think I finally figured out a solution though. Go to Settings -> General -> Keyboards -> Text Replacement and add a Phrase 't with Shortcut 't. This seems to have fixed the issue for me. The apostrophe t in "don't" no longer gets auto-corrected to "don.'this" or some other gibberish. It now stays as "don't". We can't be the only ones experiencing this problem though. Apple really should fix the issue.

Autocorrect Apostrophe Glitch: iPhone X running iOS 12.1.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.