Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps asking for acceptance for cookies - is The Cookie Monster on the loose?

I am constantly being bothered by the Safari browser asking me to accept all kind of cookies. That is, Cookies I accepted yesterday and the day before and the day before that ad libitum...

It's almost like The Cookie Monster has gone on Safari - my Safari, apparently.

I have visited a local Mac forum and found I'm not the only one with this problem. Hmmm...

Any help to locate the whereabouts of this personalized Cookie Monster will be much appreciated. Thank You Kindly!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 10, 2019 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2019 5:26 PM

Thank you for your answer.

"Block all cookies" in Safari's Preferences was and is not selected and thus not the cause of the problem.

I'm aware of the EU cookie policies and approve of them. However, my personal Cookie Monster showed up a few weeks ago right after I updated from Yosemite to Mojave, and therefore I suspect this somehow is related with the problem - also because there are other problems with the Safari Version 12.0.3 (14606.4.5) running om my machine.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2019 5:26 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your answer.

"Block all cookies" in Safari's Preferences was and is not selected and thus not the cause of the problem.

I'm aware of the EU cookie policies and approve of them. However, my personal Cookie Monster showed up a few weeks ago right after I updated from Yosemite to Mojave, and therefore I suspect this somehow is related with the problem - also because there are other problems with the Safari Version 12.0.3 (14606.4.5) running om my machine.

Mar 10, 2019 4:34 PM in response to Dr. Wishbone

Please explain what you are encountering in greater detail. If you select "Block all cookies" in Safari's Preferences a lot of websites just won't work.

Due to recent European Union privacy regulations imposed upon just about everyone it's normal for a "disclaimer" to appear on just about every website that uses cookies—which is to say just about every website there is. Acknowledge it and get on with your life.

Mar 11, 2019 8:03 AM in response to Dr. Wishbone

As mentioned by John Galt the EU passed legislation which requires companies to allow users control over cookies, as a result most websites ask users for permission to use cookies and most give the user the ability to enable/disable different categories of cookie. It seems some sites periodically re-ask this although I would not expect this to be more than once a month.

See - http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/cookies/index_en.htm

Arguably non-EU websites would not need to implement this if they have no EU users but as in reality the overwhelming majority of websites around the world might have at least one EU user at some point and many a lot more it has in effect been necessary for all websites around the world to implement this.

A whole bunch of websites however including Yahoo use the same mechanism for managing cookies using 'oath' this is what I regard as a particularly nasty one as it does not seem to give the user the ability to opt out of any of the cookies. Either you accept them all or you are blocked from accessing websites using this system. Bleh! See - https://policies.oath.com/us/en/oath/privacy/topics/cookies/index.html

Note: Whilst as a Brit I regard the EU with (how shall I put this) mixed emotions, arguably the EU legislation on cookies and data protection (GDPR) is positive and as a result is being adopted in the US and being considered as a template for similar US legislation. [Cough, Facebook, cough.]

Safari keeps asking for acceptance for cookies - is The Cookie Monster on the loose?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.