Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 MacBook 2.1

I am trying to erase my hard drive. I have tried command r and command option r but neither will load the utility.

I want to wipe the hd and start over. My husband bought this in a yard sale.

MacBook

Posted on Mar 10, 2019 6:32 PM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2019 10:28 PM in response to vshumate

Once a working system is installed, either OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.8, an 'unsupported' but secure

custom build browser can be useful to navigate the internet; I've an older MacBook1.1 13-in.

(first macbook 1.83GHz coreduo) and use G3 version TenFourFox, and if you try to use this

see special instructions & disclaimer. IT works a treat. But if not set up correctly, does not work.

info FAQ G3_TenFourFox ~ for early intel-mac

https://github.com/classilla/tenfourfox/wiki/AAATheFAQ#can-104fx-run-on-an-intel-mac-with-104-105-or-106

• TenFourFox for G3 processors - tenfourfox download

You may need to get replacement (7200-RPM 200+GB HDD) with minor upgrade, & new OS X install

DVD (10.5. or 10.6.) check update step downloads to get last bits for either of these from Support site.

• About TenFourFox (main page)

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD - Apple Store ($19.99 US)

Mar 10, 2019 6:50 PM in response to vshumate

This is a problem I once had with another one of my macs. Don’t worry. If this happens, usually it is either the hard drive is corrupted or it needs to be replaced. Another common one is that vital sectors on the disk to erase have gone bad or it has gone through its erasing limit. A rare one would be that a hardware between the system and the disk has failed. You may want to insert and boot an OS X cd (you can get an OS X Lion download from some software download sites like getintopc.com and use disk maker X to make the drive to boot from, or buy a cd os snow leopard from apple or eBay). Hope this helps you on your journey.

Mar 11, 2019 10:06 PM in response to vshumate

Any version of OSX for this laptop is outdated and probably won't allow you to browse the internet since a lot has changed since the last supported version of OSX for this laptop. I would suggest installing Linux Mint on it. It is a completely free operating system that is easy to install on a Mac and will allow you to use the laptop with up to date software & web-browsers. Now it will take some learning & getting used to it so check out their website for information. You won't be able to run proprietary apps like Microsoft Office though there is a comparable app called LibreOffice. There are free apps for everything, and sometimes dozens to choose from for each type. Linux Mint does support the most popular web-browsers such as Firefox, Google Chrome, and Vivaldi.

You can create a bootable Linux Mint USB installer disk using Etcher (available for OSX, Windows, Linux). During the installation have the installer use the whole drive and choose the Mate desktop. After Linux Mint is installed it would be a good idea to check the hard drive's health by using GSmartControl (if this app is not installed by default, then it is a good time to learn how to install apps).

If you don't like Linux Mint or have problems with it, you are no worse off than you are now. You can always reinstall OSX when you acquire the installation discs. If you purchase installation discs, then make sure they are for your specific MacBook or the discs are the retail copy of the OS which will work on any supported system.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 MacBook 2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.