You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 RAM Upgrade Best Practice

The base system has 2 x 4GB memory modules installed. Does it make any difference which slot the modules are in, and which modules should/must match in size? Does it make any difference whether the 4GB or 16GB are in the original slots?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 10:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 10:28 AM

Were the original modules in slots 1 + 3? That means they are matching. And the additional modules would then go into slots 2 + 4 - which should then show exactly the way your screenshot shows - perfect. Having said all that, I don’t know that it matters that much any longer with the new arrangement of the slots.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2019 10:28 AM in response to James Zeman

Were the original modules in slots 1 + 3? That means they are matching. And the additional modules would then go into slots 2 + 4 - which should then show exactly the way your screenshot shows - perfect. Having said all that, I don’t know that it matters that much any longer with the new arrangement of the slots.

Mar 12, 2019 10:39 AM in response to babowa

Slots

4 -- Added 16GB

3 -- Original 4GB

2 -- Added 16GB

1 -- Original 4GB

System is running great and noticeably faster vs just having the original 8GB, so really just wondering if the system architecture would perform (even) better if I swap 1-2 and 3-4.

Also any benefit to symmetry between slot pairs (whether having all the modules being the same size would make a difference)?

I used to build PC's in the 80's and 90's... it's been a while since I've done anything to a machine with more than 1 or 2 slots total.

Thanks!

JZ

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 RAM Upgrade Best Practice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.