Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linux version of iTunes

I've looked high and low, on the Apple website, stack overflow, Google, and anywhere else I can think to look, and any mention of a Linux version of iTunes is suspiciously absent. I would REALLY like to leave Microsoft for good, but I can't until I can run iTunes natively on Linux. Does Apple plan on releasing a Linux build of iTunes? If Apple hasn't considered it, maybe they should. I suspect there is an untapped market there.

P.S. I'm filing this under "iTunes for Windows" because there is not YET a Linux option.

Posted on Mar 13, 2019 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2019 2:27 PM

Apple aren't listening here. Use Feedback - iTunes - Apple. My guess is that Linux will need to get significantly more than its current 2.1% share of the market before it will be considered worth the investment.

tt2

4 replies

Mar 13, 2019 1:26 PM in response to Kappy

I thought the tone of my question made it clear that I already knew this... sorry I was ambiguous. I don't need technical help, I need Apple to have "courage" and build a product that people want... specifically iTunes on Linux. If users don't voice their desires, Apple can't be expected to meet them. I'm describing the product that I want in a place I hope they can hear me. Windows 7 support ends in one year. At that time I will be 100% on Linux. If I can't backup my phone on iTunes, I may have to switch to an Android device. (yes, that is a veiled reference to "That's a nice market share you've got there... it'd be a shame if something happened to it")

Mar 14, 2019 8:17 AM in response to LabRatJason

You can backup most of your iPhone content to iCloud using a free iCloud account. Depending on quantity you could also backup photos to iCloud. (It is possible to buy extra iCloud storage.)

A method used by some in the past has been to run the Windows version of iTunes via WINE under Linux.

See - https://hobo.house/2018/06/20/run-itunes-on-linux-via-wine/

Some of the alternatives listed here - https://alternativeto.net/software/itunes/?platform=linux claim to be able to sync to an iPhone.

You could even hypothetically run Windows as a VM inside Linux using VirtualBox, then of course you can run the real Windows iTunes setup.

Linux version of iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.