Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing music to iMovie

I am trying to add some music to a home movie. iMovie tells me that there are 731 files protected and unavailable, but I can still see most of my music collection in the Audio screen. It lets me add the music to the movie, but about 1 second into playing the section of movie with the audio overlay, the sound wave image disappears and the music stops. Is this because it's allowing me to import protected music, or is this a different error? If it's because the music is protected, it would seem that my entire music library is protected, not just the 731 songs suggested, as I can't find anything that will play.

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 13, 2019 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2019 9:00 PM

Hi,

If the songs are protected they wouldn't be displayed. If you could import a protected song it wouldn't have wave forms or sound.

First, select the video clip and then click on the loud speaker icon in the tool bar at the top right of the screen. If the box that says "lower the volume of other clips" is checked, then uncheck it. Now see if the wave forms and sound return. If it were unchecked already, then open iTunes and click on View/Show View Options/File/Kind. That will create a column in your iTunes library that will show which songs are protected and unprotected.

Apple Music songs are not usable in iMovie.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2019 9:00 PM in response to rozzyroz

Hi,

If the songs are protected they wouldn't be displayed. If you could import a protected song it wouldn't have wave forms or sound.

First, select the video clip and then click on the loud speaker icon in the tool bar at the top right of the screen. If the box that says "lower the volume of other clips" is checked, then uncheck it. Now see if the wave forms and sound return. If it were unchecked already, then open iTunes and click on View/Show View Options/File/Kind. That will create a column in your iTunes library that will show which songs are protected and unprotected.

Apple Music songs are not usable in iMovie.

-- Rich

Importing music to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.