Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a Venn diagram in Numbers (iOS)?

I am a high school teacher looking to create a Venn diagram in real time in Numbers (iOS).

I want to compare two or three columns of text, identify common terms, and graph them.

***(I am not interested in a method of drawing and populating the circles myself, as I know how to do that. I want to enter the text and have the diagram appear on screen for the students.)

I found this method of comparing columns of text and identifying identical terms in different columns https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4266599

That's a start. See first attached image.

(Why the "s" appears, I don't know. I would like the result under "Common" to be the common term... ie. "fruit", "tree", "juice" rather than "Dup in Row #". )

What I would like is to have the data in the colums populate circles and to be sorted as belonging to Circle A, B, or Both, as below:

Any suggestions?

I'm hoping to find a solution that will work across platforms as the students typically use Chromebooks rather than iPads.

Many thanks.

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 14, 2019 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2019 8:33 AM

so you are looking in column A for that row, and bringing back what row in column B has a match, if any.

There are a few ways to do what your asking, here is one that I think is the simplest to understand when I was starting with this kind of thing.

In the formula below we concatenation th letter B with the results of the match to bring back the string “B5”. Which is where we found the word juice in column B for row 7 in A. But a formula cannot use a string “B5” it needs the cell reference B5. So we throw that entire concatenation into the indirect function. Indirect converts a string that “looks” like a cell reference and converts t into a real one That number can use.

If if you want to look at another method, you can look up the offset function it’s really useful as well.

Help on on all these functions can be found from within the program itself, or online if you was click this link. (It says numbers ‘09 but the formulas haven’t changed )

hope this helps

jason

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2019 8:33 AM in response to iJaboney

so you are looking in column A for that row, and bringing back what row in column B has a match, if any.

There are a few ways to do what your asking, here is one that I think is the simplest to understand when I was starting with this kind of thing.

In the formula below we concatenation th letter B with the results of the match to bring back the string “B5”. Which is where we found the word juice in column B for row 7 in A. But a formula cannot use a string “B5” it needs the cell reference B5. So we throw that entire concatenation into the indirect function. Indirect converts a string that “looks” like a cell reference and converts t into a real one That number can use.

If if you want to look at another method, you can look up the offset function it’s really useful as well.

Help on on all these functions can be found from within the program itself, or online if you was click this link. (It says numbers ‘09 but the formulas haven’t changed )

hope this helps

jason

Mar 16, 2019 10:13 PM in response to iJaboney

Cheers.

Taking your hint, I've now deleted the s at the end of the function so that a null field is returned, but I've no idea how to return the common term, a unique term, nor how to output those terms to a circle.

My thought is that if there's no Venn diagram function in Numbers or Excel on iOS, I could fake it by outputting the terms to three invisible circles (Unique 1, Common, Unique 2) and overlaying two coloured circles.

Mar 16, 2019 9:52 PM in response to iJaboney

I was about to give you the same answer as the linked solution you already gave, since the solution on the other post doesn’t have the “S” you are showing, I think you might have an error in your formula.

if you can post a screen shot of your existing formula, we might be able to tell you how to change it to bring back the data being duplicated and not the text you are seeing.

jason

How do I create a Venn diagram in Numbers (iOS)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.