Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing OLD number from iPhone iMessages (moved overseas)

I have moved overseas and imessage still shows old number under imessage and FaceTime prefs. Icloud.com shows my new number and the old number doesn't show up there at all.

So how do I remove the old number altogether?

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 18, 2019 10:02 AM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2019 10:26 AM in response to David Stembridge

I believe you have to make sure the device is using the new number of the new SIM card, you can check that by going to Settings>Phone>My Number and see what’s displayed, tap to edit if necessary.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-change-your-iphones-number-3628626/

Once done you then need to get iMessages and FaceTime to re-register the new number by turning off and on again.

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-imessage-phone-number-on-iphone/

The above article talks you through the process with iMessages but I’ve found doing same with FaceTime (at the same time) improves the success.

Also they talk about turning “off” iMessages, again you might get better success in actually “signing out” instead (remember do same in FaceTime).

Hope some of the above helps.

Mar 18, 2019 12:38 PM in response to David Stembridge

Firstly, with the new sim in, go to Settings>Phone>My Number and check it's correct, if not edit it, not sure if you need the number to be in the format with country code (ie. for UK I replace first 0 with +44).

Then instead of just turning off iMessages and FaceTime actually sign out (you have to tap your Apple ID to get that option), once done leave the device for 15 minutes or so, then reboot and turn on/sign back in to both the iMessages and FaceTime.

Mar 18, 2019 11:15 PM in response to SiHancox

Unfortunately, that still doesn't work. I have my new number showing up as the ONLY trusted number, yet, for prefs/messages and Facetime, the old number is there, dimmed with a spinning circle to the left on both menus. I do not know how to remove the old number.

I don't have any product currently under apple warranty to be able to call in and talk t someone. Not sure what to do.

Mar 19, 2019 12:31 AM in response to David Stembridge

I've ran out of ideas, did find this that gives a few more options to try though.

https://appletoolbox.com/2013/04/imessage-displays-the-wrong-phone-number-fix/

With respect to no warranty left, your issue is Software/Apple related, and has more than likely arisen following the last update (catch my drift), as such Apple should help. I've often called with issues following an "update" and had no problem getting help/advice even though the device was over 12 months old. There is of course the Apple Store but that might be some distance away.

Removing OLD number from iPhone iMessages (moved overseas)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.