Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a cleaner for my iMac with MacOS 10.14.3?

On page 12 of the March 2019 AARP Bulletin the computer consultant, Terri Grover recommends an automatic cleaner that she installs on her clients' computers to clear out temporary files, cookies, and caches so computers can run more efficiently. Is that a real thing that I should consider for my iMac and MacBook Pro (both 10.14.3)?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 9:10 AM

Do not install any anti-virus, or so-called Mac "cleaner" applications. These have a long history of interfering with the normal operation of the operating system, and applications; removing valid application components, or aggressively deleting user data. Just don't go there. Let Terri do her thing — just not to your Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2019 9:10 AM in response to MRBarrett27

Do not install any anti-virus, or so-called Mac "cleaner" applications. These have a long history of interfering with the normal operation of the operating system, and applications; removing valid application components, or aggressively deleting user data. Just don't go there. Let Terri do her thing — just not to your Mac.

Mar 19, 2019 9:20 AM in response to MRBarrett27

The author has demonstrated that she does not know the Mac OS. Since the early days of OSX the Mac OS has included built-in maintenance scripts that run automatically so you don't have run useless third-part solutions. They do all that stuff that the author claims her program does.

Admittedly, long ago those scripts ran ONLY if the computer were turned on and not sleeping--not very realistic for the wee hours of the morning when the scripts are programmed to run. Many of us ran third-party apps to manually run the scripts. But that is now ancient history.

Starting with OS 10.5 Leopard, introduced in Oct 2007, the scripts were redesigned to wake the computer if necessary and do a "catch-up" run if the computer had been shut down at the appointed run times. No longer do you need any apps that claim to clean, disinfect, fumigate, tune up, polish the gronkulator, or find your Mac a mate. In addition to being useless, they interfere with your Mac's built-in protection and can slow the computer.

Why pay money for something your Mac already does?

Do I need a cleaner for my iMac with MacOS 10.14.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.