Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini slow with Mojave

Thanks, guys, for being here, and thanks for alerting me to EtreCheck. May I post my report for your inspection and advice ?

My problem is, late 2012 mini, recently installed Mojave, computer running slow for all tasks, with much beachballing. Report cites insufficent RAM; computer tells me all RAM ports are filled (4 GB). Do replacement RAM modules have more capacity ?

[Thread won't allow length of EtreCheck report. How to post ?]

Thanks !

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 3:50 PM

1. You have a slow 5400 RPM hard drive that has very slow disk access.

Write speed:  22 MB/s

Read speed:  23 MB/s

The slow access could be due to the disk failing. This is because with the disk failing the operating system has to read/write the disk more than once to get a good read/write. Replacement with an SSD is recommended.

2. You only have 4GB RAM, that is not enough. I would upgrade to 10 GB my replace one 2GB modular with one 8GB modular. In your 2012 Mini it is very easy to replace the RAM

Here are videos for how to do the upgrades.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2012/

You have to get memory that is specifically identified to work with a 2012 Mini. OWC and some others like Crucial sell such memory. Any 2 1/2 inch SSD will work.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2019 3:50 PM in response to sdrdesign

1. You have a slow 5400 RPM hard drive that has very slow disk access.

Write speed:  22 MB/s

Read speed:  23 MB/s

The slow access could be due to the disk failing. This is because with the disk failing the operating system has to read/write the disk more than once to get a good read/write. Replacement with an SSD is recommended.

2. You only have 4GB RAM, that is not enough. I would upgrade to 10 GB my replace one 2GB modular with one 8GB modular. In your 2012 Mini it is very easy to replace the RAM

Here are videos for how to do the upgrades.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini2012/

You have to get memory that is specifically identified to work with a 2012 Mini. OWC and some others like Crucial sell such memory. Any 2 1/2 inch SSD will work.

Mar 19, 2019 4:36 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks very much, lllaass. Conveniently, my Mac repair man has just what you suggested, in stock, and I'm about to take my mini there for the exchanges. I looked at a couple of videos, and determined that I could easily do the RAMs myself, while the SSD might just get me into trouble---plus, he'll do the data transfer for me. What the hey---it's way less than a new machine.

Thanks again for your helpful reply---and to EtreCheck !

I'll report back, with my results . . .

Steve

Mar 20, 2019 10:09 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks again, lllaass. I was interested to read about the mini lineage, on a page linked for me by EtreCheck, showing that the Late 2012 (mine) was made both with a single and with a pair of HDs. My HDD (?) has been replaced with a Samsung NAND SSD 860 EVO (whatever that is---my mechanic's choice)---and independently of you he suggested replacing one of the 2 GB RAM cards with an 8 GB one, giving my 250% of the previous RAM component. Hoo-hah: it rocks. And so do you.

Thanks for your help ! I may have follow-up questions, here or on another topic. In the meantime . . .

SDR

Mac mini slow with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.