Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can My MacBook Pro become a Touch Screen?

I want to make my MacBook Pro a Touch Screen Device - Can I make it one?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 11:51 PM

5 replies

Mar 20, 2019 10:55 AM in response to MollyWagnerFan

The physical screen on a MacBook Pro lacks the physical hardware (digitizer) that tells the system where, when and how contact is made. macOS also lacks the software (called coco touch) that interfaces with the digitizer. So, no, you cannot turn a MacBook Pro into a touch screen device using current Apple-friendly hardware that is designed to work on a MacBook Pro.

Mar 20, 2019 11:24 AM in response to MollyWagnerFan

Apple Leaders have stated public they have no interest in turning the MacBook into a mainly touchscreen device. They see doing that as a compromise that would be bad at everything. The way you use a laptop today makes it physically difficult to also use the screen as a touchscreen in an easy and productive way.

The Microsoft Surface, in all its incarnations, has never been a big seller.

Some MacBook Pro models from 2016 and later have a separate long narrow touchscreen above the keyboard. Each application can put its shortcuts and touch-sensitive controls there. It is called the touchbar, and is worth looking at. Visit your local Apple store or Apple-Authorized Dealer and ask to see it in action.

The iPad is a computer with a completely optional keyboard that is intended for touch screen and advanced stylus operation. Although it has some overlap in the Applications available, it in not intended for all-day keyboarding, for example.

Can My MacBook Pro become a Touch Screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.