Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Own finder tags as script for automator.

Hallo friends!

I found this very cool solution!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8000165?answerId=31936614022

But I need some more help on that. That script works for me so far, but I would like to have that the script will tag a file inside the tagged folder too and a filter what kind(s) I would like to tag.

I hope somebody understand what I want :-)

Thanks so far!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 11:44 AM

Tag folder hierarchy containing valid movies. Remove Automator's Run AppleScript action boiler plate code before pasting the following:

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 23, 2019 8:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

I haven't abandoned this. I felt that if there was a large scrollable list of custom tags presented, without any reference of name to individual assigned colors, that there might be a need to see both.

Accordingly, I now have the Finder Preferences : Tags listing in color, and the AppleScript text list of tag names concurrently displayed so list tag names have a visual color reference. Both on screen windows are scrollable and independent of one another. As soon as you select one or more tags from the AppleScript list, both windows vanish.

Now, to address prompting for a folder, obtaining its hierarchy, excluding files that match the extension exclusion, and setting the tag(s) on that folder and its allowable contents.

Mar 21, 2019 8:37 AM in response to OSXproCA

That Automator Folder Action script that I wrote — tags items dropped into the Downloads folder with the pre-defined Finder tagname "download." It does not tag the folder that the Folder Action is assigned too. You could do that yourself.

It is possible to generate a list of all defined tagnames, and present that to you as a selection from which you can 1) take a default item by pressing return, or 2) select one or more tagnames to be applied to the specific dropped item.

Provide a list of file types that you want to filter during the tag process and I can incorporate that into the existing code too.

Mar 21, 2019 12:45 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thats sounds interesting and useful too, how to do it? I am new in that stuff.

My situation:

So like I have a Folder called movie, I drop a folder with the name "movie 2010" inside, your script is tagging that as like "new movie" but the inside file like movie 2010.mp4 do not touched by your script but I would like to have it too, but a file like "poster.jpg" also inside of the folder "movie 2010" should be ignored. So filter by ext like mp4 or mkv or so would help.

So we have two ways I think would be very interesting.

Own finder tags as script for automator.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.