Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Found unexpected dstream

I am posting my experience with this non-fixable error DiskAid uncovered yesterday, plus some background info:

1. I had my 2017 2TB MacBook Pro repaired by Apple in February, including keyboard fix, top case and battery replacement.

2. In March, while I was at SXSW my MacBook Pro suddenly lost all power, which was ostensibly due to a completely depleted battery, which happened while the MBP ran very hot. Subsequently, the MBP was completely dead, no screen, nothing. Luckily, it recovered after charging for a while. However, just about all settings were wiped out, including browser cache, desktop settings, helper apps, etc.

3. Yesterday, my MacBook suddenly started slowing down making it nearly impossible to type anything. Luckily, again, I was able to quit all programs and backup my SSD.

4. DiskAid showed the following problems, which I searched online but no one appears to have ever suffered from:

Checking the fsroot tree.

error: Found unexpected dstream (id 8614620021, object-id 8614639848)

error: xf : INO_EXT_TYPE_DSTREAM : invalid dstream

error: inode_val: object (oid 0x20178f8e8): invalid xfields

fsroot tree is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

4. Booting from the recovery partition, DiskAid was unable to fix this error, so that meant the disk was munged.

5. Thank goodness I use Carbon Copy Cloner, so I:

a.) erased my SSD from the recovery partition

b.) plugged in my SSD with my CCC backup and restored my entire 690 GB setup in about an hour.

I hope this will help people who receive this error, which is likely related to Mojave's new Apple Filing Protocol (AFP). I highly recommend buying a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner, it saved me big time. I have nothing to do with this company, so this is just a personal recommendation.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 10:24 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 21, 2019 10:32 AM in response to Michael Tchong

I am posting my experience with this non-fixable error DiskAid

Checking the fsroot tree.
error: Found unexpected dstream (id 8614620021, object-id 8614639848)
error: xf : INO_EXT_TYPE_DSTREAM : invalid dstream
error: inode_val: object (oid 0x20178f8e8): invalid xfields
fsroot tree is invalid.
The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

receive this error, which is likely related to Mojave's new Apple Filing Protocol (AFP).

Always advocating for "3-2-1 Backup Strategy" three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Use DiskUtility Restore feature https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/restore-a-disk-dskutl14062/mac

Found unexpected dstream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.