Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Battery Capacity at 96% after less than 2 months use

I bought my iPhone XS towards the end of January and it’s been less than 2 months now and my battery capacity is at 96%. I don’t have any abnormal/heavy usage either and my phone easily lasts over 12 hours. I’m a bit confused as to what’s going on. Is anyone else going through something similar and is my phone fine or is my phone/battery faulty?

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 1:20 PM

12 replies

Mar 27, 2019 7:02 PM in response to shayaanfrompk

Do you typically leave your phone charging over night? This generates heat. This slowly damages the Li ion cells in your battery. This might address the issue of your battery capacity but not why it drains so quickly. As anypats stated, check and disable background app refresh for apps that don't need to be updating continually. Facebook and WhatsApp could be culprits.

If you use WhatsApp, I suggest that you set make the following changes in settings.

data and storage usage / media auto-download:

• set videos to off. You may also want to set audio and photos to wi-fi.

notifications - turn off as many as possible.

If you use Facebook, turn off as many notifications as possible.

Howard

Mar 27, 2019 7:08 PM in response to howarduns

Thank you for the detailed response Howard. I just did what you said. I don’t have a Facebook so that’s fine there. For WhatsApp I have changed the storage use settings as well as background app refresh but in terms of background app refresh won’t this affect my phones ability to receive push notifications?

I do charge my phone overnight and that too with the 12W iPad charger but I do that only because Apple’s official website state that it’s safe to use and everyone I know technically charges their phone overnight because apparently iPhone can’t really ‘overcharge’.

Mar 27, 2019 7:19 PM in response to shayaanfrompk

Regarding WhatsApp, you have to decide which is more important? Longer battery life or frequent WhatsApp notifications. If you disable the automatic downloading of videos, that will save your battery usage even if you don't change your notification settings. I suggest that you make 1 change at a time if you wish to determine what is impacting your battery life.

The issue is overheating; not overcharging with regards to your battery being able to retain a full charge for as long as possible.

Li ion batteries maintain optimum battery life if you do multiple shorter charges rather than longer charges. I would recommend that once your phone runs down to 60-80%, charge it until it is fully charged then unplug it.

A few years ago, an Apple genius informed me that regular use of the iPad's 12W charger to charge your iPhone can eventually damage your phone. Your iPhone is designed to be charged with a 5W charger.

Because everyone does something has no bearing on whether it is good to do or not.

Howard

Mar 27, 2019 7:44 PM in response to howarduns

The Apple Geniuses don’t know everything. There was a report of a genius saying that you shouldn’t wirelessly charge because you’re using the battery to charge itself. Whoever told you that the 12W charger shouldn’t be used was misinformed. Apple clearly advertises using an 18W, 29W, 30W, 61W, or 87W charger with the iPhone for fast charging.

iPhone XS Battery Capacity at 96% after less than 2 months use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.