Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage won't activate after switching to eSIM

Hi

Since I switched to eSIM, I can't activate iMessage over phone number on my iPhone XS Max. It worked perfectly fine while I was using a standard SIM card. I can use iMessage with my Apple ID without a problem, but when I want to activate my phone number it just says waiting for activation, and after a while it says activation unsuccessful. My carrier says everything is fine on their end so I wanna know is that an iOS issue and am I going to have to wait for an update with a fix or what? I have tried every single tip/hack/solution I could find online, but nothing works. I'm not using dual SIM, just one phone number and one eSIM profile. I would appreciate some kind of advice.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 1:47 PM

4 replies

Mar 23, 2019 11:50 AM in response to tomislav290

Good morning tomislav290,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you switched to an eSIM on your iPhone XS Max, but you are unable to send iMessages with the phone number. Is this a different phone number than you were using previously? If so, you would need to update that information in your Apple ID and Messages app settings. Take a look at the resources below for more information about eSIM and Messages:

Create, manage, and use an Apple ID

"Manage your Apple ID

Because your Apple ID is used across all your devices and services, it's important to keep your account information up to date. Simply sign in to your Apple ID account page at any time to manage your account:

Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

"If you don't have a nano-SIM and your carrier supports it, an eSIM can serve as your only cellular plan."

Take care.

Mar 24, 2019 1:22 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hi,

I checked everything and it all looks good. Also, I tried all the “fixes” mentioned above and it still doesn’t work. I checked with my carrier once again just in case, and they say everything is fine and the silent messages needed for activation are going through without a problem. They have been sent and successfully delivered multiple times, but iMessage still isn’t active.

Mar 24, 2019 11:31 AM in response to tomislav290

Hi tomislav290,

Thanks for sharing these updates. Please take a look at each of the resources provided to double-check that all of the settings are correct. (The information contained in the resources will be helpful even if the title doesn't seem to speak directly to your issue.). Please reply back to this thread if you are still unable to use Messages with the eSIM on your iPhone.

iMessage won't activate after switching to eSIM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.