Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Wifi No text messages

my wife doesn’t have any data plan and uses WiFi for browsing and chats. But when she is outside WiFi range she doesn’t receive any text messages from her network with a good signal.

What should I check on the phone settings that I missed?

thank you for your help.

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 2:46 PM

SMS text messages do not require a data plan; they use the voice subchannel. So if she can make phone calls she should be able to receive SMS texts (but not iMessage, which requires Wi-Fi). However, MMS (picture messages) require cellular data.

If she is not receiving SMS she needs to contact her carrier and have her account provisioning reviewed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2019 2:46 PM in response to win224

SMS text messages do not require a data plan; they use the voice subchannel. So if she can make phone calls she should be able to receive SMS texts (but not iMessage, which requires Wi-Fi). However, MMS (picture messages) require cellular data.

If she is not receiving SMS she needs to contact her carrier and have her account provisioning reviewed.

No Wifi No text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.