Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone XS Max unresponsive--black screen

I've tried the apple reccomended fixes--vol up/down, then side button, no luck. Plugging into charger does not show anything on screen. Happened suddenly. Completely dead, and taking a trip tomorrow. Any idea how to wake up?

Thanks

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 6:16 AM

I plugged it in to charge for about an hour, but the screen remained black--no plugged in and charging symbols. Unplugged again, the first couple of times I tried it the recommended fix it did not work. I plugged it in and tried it again a couple times. Saw the apple symbol, and phone was back to normal. Thanks for the help!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2019 6:16 AM in response to Androish

I plugged it in to charge for about an hour, but the screen remained black--no plugged in and charging symbols. Unplugged again, the first couple of times I tried it the recommended fix it did not work. I plugged it in and tried it again a couple times. Saw the apple symbol, and phone was back to normal. Thanks for the help!

Mar 21, 2019 3:48 PM in response to Lillenthal

Make sure you use a known good charger to charge it.

Plug it in and let it charge for one hour.

If you don't see the charging screen within an hour, or you see the connect to power screen, check the jack, USB cable, and power adapter. Make sure that everything is plugged in firmly, free of debris, and not damaged. You might want to try a different USB cable or power adapter.

Basically if you have done everything in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

And it's still unresponsive. Your device will need service

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

iphone XS Max unresponsive--black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.