Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new MacBook Pro grounding issue

I’ve just purchased the baseline 2017 MacBook Pro yesterday and charged it for the first time today but I’m feeling a small electric current/vibrations. It’s all over, including the back of the screen but especially along the top above the f keys

ive read people have experienced this but they usually say it has developed after a year or so. should this be happening when it’s brand new?

Any recommendations on what to do?

thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2019 6:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with your Mac. This is happening because Apple no longer includes the extension cable that also acts as a ground wire. Grab the Apple extension cable at the Apple store or your local store (I think they are $19 USD) and connect it to your power adapter. I assure you that electrical hum/feeling you are experiencing will go away instantly. I learned about this years ago from Applecare technical support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2019 6:25 PM in response to Rachaelt_c

There is nothing wrong with your Mac. This is happening because Apple no longer includes the extension cable that also acts as a ground wire. Grab the Apple extension cable at the Apple store or your local store (I think they are $19 USD) and connect it to your power adapter. I assure you that electrical hum/feeling you are experiencing will go away instantly. I learned about this years ago from Applecare technical support.

Brand new MacBook Pro grounding issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.