Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capture Recording command on 10.4.4 captures all previous takes, not just the last take.

I recently purchased a new computer and upgraded from Logic 9 to 10.4.4.

I have been using the Capture Recording command for years. From what I understand, it is only supposed to capture your last take. If you stop and press play, the buffer will be wiped. And that is what I want.

However it is not working like that. Say I play a take on a track. Then I stop, go back to beginning and play another take. Then I do that again, etc.

Logic now captures all of this MIDI data from all of these takes, stacked on top of each other. A useless mess!

It does not capture the MIDI data from only the last take, which is how it used to behave.

How do I fix this?

Anybody else having this problem?

iMac 27" 5K, 10.13

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 5:33 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Mar 24, 2019 2:14 AM in response to Wilddrums

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.

I chose replace content instead of replace region, but nothing changed.

I have experimented using the standard "record" command. And the replace button works as advertised there. No issue.

But it seems to have no effect on "capture recording".

Everything I have read about this feature states that it is supposed to only capture your last MIDI performance, not all of the performances since you last chose to "capture"!

This has really got me puzzled.

And a little frustrated.

"Capture recording" has long been a staple convenience for me, and I usually use it instead of the "normal" recording options. Somehow it is more relaxed not to see the DAW lit up in red.

Mar 24, 2019 2:29 AM in response to savitrimuse

Hi

From what I understand, it is only supposed to capture your last take. If you stop and press play, the buffer will be wiped. And that is what I want.

LPX 10.4.4 working exactly as you describe here ( in a new empty project).

Recording Preferences for Overlapping MIDI set to

Cycle Off:Merge

Cycle On : Merge

Replace :Content Erase

Have you tried logging in to the Mac as another User to see if the problem lies with corrupted Preferences?

CCT

Mar 24, 2019 3:19 AM in response to savitrimuse

Hi

It would be worth doing a complete "Trash" the preferences:

Quit Logic

In the Finder, use the Go menu while you hold down the Option Key to get to the (<User>) Library

In <User> Library > Preferences, find the preferences file com.apple.logic10.plist and move it to the Trash

Empty the Trash

Restart the Mac, then restart Logic

Reset the basic Preferences:Audio, Advanced Tools etc

Test

CCT

Mar 24, 2019 4:32 AM in response to CCTM

Eureka.

I found the issue. And it looks to be a bug (perhaps).

Being forced to forego my usual key commands while I did a new test was the discovery tool. Everything worked fine when I experimented without my custom key commands.

But then on a hunch I restored a single custom key command: Play from beginning. And the unwanted behaviour returned.

I also tried executing this command from the transport controls (rather than a key command) and again the unwanted behaviour manifested.

Even if I stop Logic first, and then execute "play from beginning", the unwanted behaviour manifests.

If I simply use "go the beginning" while logic is in play, everything works fine.

It also works fine with every other stop and play command.

But "play from the beginning" triggers the problem.

Mar 25, 2019 9:53 AM in response to savitrimuse

Yes, I signed up for a developers account years ago. Although I've heard (reliably) that Logic's devs do look at all of the Logic Pro Feedback input that comes in.

You use the same Apple I.D. for a developer's account.

Up to you.

Logic has a few quirky bugs where similar operation behave differently. Recently someone was trying to import a .mid file into logic using the import routines... nothing worked, however a drag & drop onto the arrange page worked perfectly.

Capture Recording command on 10.4.4 captures all previous takes, not just the last take.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.