Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade first gen mac pro in 2019..... worth the effort and what parts?

Greetings,

I recently found a first generation Mac Pro sitting outside my complex near the dumpster.... i couldnt believe my eyes! It is such a beautiful machine, however heavily out dated. It turns out the machine had one bad hdd (of two) and would hang at post. Everything else in the machine still works just fine... including the old 7300 gt and 4x 512mb RAM sticks, and the remaining 512gb hdd..

My question is .. is this thing worth upgrading? i know it has MacOS Tiger installed right now ...

So is my only option to acquire a Snow Leopard install disk to upgrade?

What kind of Graphics card and RAM can i put in this machine to get it as up-to-date as possible? im really interest in restoring this machine to a useable state.

I appreciate any help!!

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 8:55 PM

You should check out the various reports at: http://www.xlr8yourmac

There should be plenty of information there that would help you get something later than Lion installed on your Pro, as well as tips on what upgrades can be added.

I have a 1,1 Mac Pro that I use as a Wayback Machine (that'll probably only make sense if you watched Rocky and Bullwinkle). For those purposes, I haven't had any reason to do the EFI hack. It runs Tiger through Lion. Snow Leopard runs great on it. I don't attempt to use it for Internet access, just to run older software. I wanted to add a USB 3 card to it, but ultimately had to abandon that idea if I wanted to keep Tiger on one of the drives. I had a first-gen CalDigit card worked great with Leopard through Lion, but caused a kernel panic if I tried to boot Tiger.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2019 8:55 PM in response to SGTDan94

You should check out the various reports at: http://www.xlr8yourmac

There should be plenty of information there that would help you get something later than Lion installed on your Pro, as well as tips on what upgrades can be added.

I have a 1,1 Mac Pro that I use as a Wayback Machine (that'll probably only make sense if you watched Rocky and Bullwinkle). For those purposes, I haven't had any reason to do the EFI hack. It runs Tiger through Lion. Snow Leopard runs great on it. I don't attempt to use it for Internet access, just to run older software. I wanted to add a USB 3 card to it, but ultimately had to abandon that idea if I wanted to keep Tiger on one of the drives. I had a first-gen CalDigit card worked great with Leopard through Lion, but caused a kernel panic if I tried to boot Tiger.

Mar 23, 2019 12:37 PM in response to SGTDan94

You won't be able to use a recent version of OSX on it so getting online or getting updated apps will be difficult or impossible. Memory for Mac Pro's is usually more expensive than for other systems as most of them used ECC RAM. You will want to use only RAM from Crucial or OWC as Macs are very particular about the memory they use. 2GB of RAM is not very much and will likely need to have more installed to be useful.

Since you won't be able to use a recent or supported version of OSX on this computer, you might want to try using one of the Ubuntu Linux flavors or Linux Mint both of which should install easily and be friendly to new users. Both of these operating systems are free and can operate in low memory situations if you choose the correct Desktop Environment (LXDE, XFCE, MATE). In my experience 4GB of RAM even with Linux is the minimum RAM necessary to have a decent online experience, but you easily test it yourself. You will need to learn a new OS and expect to make mistakes. This also allows you to run tests on the system to make sure there are no hidden surprises before spending money on upgrades.

If I were you, I would make sure to zero out the hard drive before using it. You don't want to have anything from the previous owner come back to haunt you.

Mar 23, 2019 2:37 PM in response to SGTDan94

That is the Dual Core original 1,1 version from 2006.

There is a hobbyist hack that can allow the installation of the 2,1 firmware, which (I think) would allow you to upgrade the processors to Quad core X5365, if you wanted.

The biggest problem is that it has only 32-bit firmware. Hobbyists discovered you could ADD the 64-bit firmware (on top of, and dependent on the built-in 32-bit firmware) by making patches to the EFI and substituting a slightly modified boot loader. Doing this would make it "look like" a 2008 model, and would allow you to run up to 10.11 El Capitan.

We are generally discouraged from posting direct links to these unsupported and unauthorized modifications, so that the innocent and unqualified do not hurt themselves by attempting hobbyist modifications way beyond their abilities. But we can provide some suggestions and additional guidance, if you just ask.

You must have 6GB or more of Real RAM to get 10.11 El Capitan or later to run without constant Paging. The DIMMs for these Mac Pro models have the enormous heatsinks, and they are required. If you can arrange your RAM DIMMs so that all slots on a card are fully populated, the big "trick" of these FBDIMMs is that they switch to double-width memory accesses (i.e., faster).

If you get through all that, you can add a SSD drive on a sled with a bit of fiddling, and pick up faster Applications launches and better speed overall.

Mar 23, 2019 8:19 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m sensing that without any sort of hack work this machine is dead in the water? It’s a shame, the Ethernet networking is extremely slow, safari can’t display any webpages correctly, and no other browser out there seems to support OS 10.4 still.

Is it possible to make this a windows machine without any real issues? If I did make it a windows machine, would I be able to throw in any 3rd part GPU? I would really hate to see this machine on a shelf.

Upgrade first gen mac pro in 2019..... worth the effort and what parts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.