Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off Multi Processing Support in Logic Pro X? Trouble with ReWiring Live to Logic

I am having troubles getting Ableton Live to rewire into slave mode with Logic as the host application.

Ableton Live is not showing up as an input option when I create an Auxiliary channel strip and does not automatically start up in slave mode when I first open Logic, then open Live.

I have troubleshooted down to needing to "Turn off Multi Processor Support in Logic Pro", but I cannot find where to do this.

Does anyone know where to find this

A couple notes:

• I can get Reason to open up in slave mode and Rewired into Logic as expected.
  • When opening Logic as a standalone I get this error message: "Rewire device Ableton Live could not be opened. You'll need to launch Logic Pro first."
  • When Logic is open and I open Ableton Live, I get this error message: " Live has detected another active ReWire host application. No Rewire device applications will be available for use with Live unless you quit the current ReWire host application and restart Live."

What I have already done:

• upgraded all my software and operating system to Mojave, Ableton Live 10, Logic Pro X
  • deleted Live and Logic and reinstalled them.
  • both are running at 64bit
  • In Logic preferences, set "Rewire Behavior" to "Live Mode" (also tried "Playback Mode").
  • Made sure that when I installed Live that I opened it in standalone and closed it, then opened Logic.
  • deleted Rewire files in application support so that they would reinstall upon starting Ableton Live.

I

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 3:48 PM

Hey, thanks for your speedy response.

And yes, it looks like those instructions are referring to Logic 9. I'm running Logic Pro X so probably not the right solution.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I just tried your recommendation of setting the processing thread to 4 (half of the max, which was 8), reboot computer, etc - no luck.

Below are all screenshots from my computer.

Here is the series of errors I'm receiving:

When I start Logic (no other applications running):

Then, When I start Ableton Live with Logic open, I get this:

And at any time, with or without Live open, Live does not appear as an option for an input through an auxiliary channel strip.

I also do have ReWire behavior set to "Live Mode" in the preferences under Audio. I also tried it with "Playback Mode" and got the same response.

Other ideas?

Thanks again.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2019 3:48 PM in response to Pancenter

Hey, thanks for your speedy response.

And yes, it looks like those instructions are referring to Logic 9. I'm running Logic Pro X so probably not the right solution.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I just tried your recommendation of setting the processing thread to 4 (half of the max, which was 8), reboot computer, etc - no luck.

Below are all screenshots from my computer.

Here is the series of errors I'm receiving:

When I start Logic (no other applications running):

Then, When I start Ableton Live with Logic open, I get this:

And at any time, with or without Live open, Live does not appear as an option for an input through an auxiliary channel strip.

I also do have ReWire behavior set to "Live Mode" in the preferences under Audio. I also tried it with "Playback Mode" and got the same response.

Other ideas?

Thanks again.

Mar 24, 2019 3:02 AM in response to Wilddrums

Hi

I have just tested this on 2 different Macs ( one a clean install which had not run Live 10.0.6 before:

Step 1 Run Live: it should install some files if they are needed. If it does not move on to Step

Step 2 Quit Live, Run LPX 10.4.4. In Logic Pro X >Preferences >Audio> set Rewire mode to Live Mode (Rewire and Internal. Apply the changes.

Step 3 Quit Logic

Step 4 Restart Logic

Step 5 Start Live ( the splash screen should say that it is running as Rewire Device)

If Live is NOT running as Rewire device, you may need to fix things here:

Step 6 Quit both applications.

Go to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software >Rewire

You should see an alias Ableton Live Engine _64

Select it, press Command I (Get Info) and check that it points to the correct 'original'

My guess is that it does not, or that the Permissions for the Propellerhead Rewire folder are incorrect.

Try moving the Live Engine alias to the Desktop ( making sure to delete the original one), then restart Live to get it to re-install the Engine file ( Step 1 above)

CCT

Mar 23, 2019 3:10 PM in response to 79horses

Which Mac do you have? Year, model number, early/mid/late.

The short answer is to go into Logic's Preferences/Audio and set processing threads to 1/2 the maximum.

If the max is 8, set processing threads to 4. Shut Logic down, reboot the computer and try again. However.... and this is a big IF! Those look like very old instructions from when Logic ran on multi-processor PowerPC architecture.

Mar 23, 2019 3:26 PM in response to 79horses

You mention Logic Pro X in the title of your post and the instructions you pasted relate to previous versions of Logic.

Which versions of Logic and Live are you using? Steps are different depending of the versions and they have to use the same bit architecture (32 bits or 64 bits).

I assume you followed the instructions from the link below:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774305-Using-Live-and-ReWire

Turning off Multi Processor Support refers to Logic Pro 9 as far as I know.

Hope that helps,

WD

Mar 23, 2019 3:53 PM in response to Wilddrums

Hi There,

Thanks so much for your response. That is super helpful to have pointed out that the reference I found was for an earlier version of Logic.

I'm using Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 10 Suite. I was also having this problem with Ableton Live 9 which I just upgraded from to try to solve the problem. I double checked and both are running on 64-bit architecture.

I did follow the Logic Pro X specific instructions in the article you mentioned and am still getting the same response.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774305-Using-Live-and-ReWire

I responded in detail with screenshots from my computer to another person's comments in this thread. Maybe the added detail will be helpful.

Thanks for your ideas. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Mar 23, 2019 4:16 PM in response to Wilddrums

I have quit both applications with Command-Q about a hundred times trying to figure this out. Rebooted my computer, etc

Both are running on 64-bit architecture. As far as I have read, It looks like both Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 10 are only available in 64-bit architecture.

Also, I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but my version of Ableton Live used to work fine in ReWire. I hadn't used it in about a year and a half, and now it won't ReWire.

I also just wiped my entire computer and reinstalled the operating system and all my software two days ago to deal with a audio processing/USB issue I was having (separate issue), and still having this problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again.

Mar 23, 2019 10:21 PM in response to Pancenter

No problem Pancenter.

Your help is welcome as I'm still wondering what the OP problem is. He may have a Rewire master application running somewhere or the installation of Rewire at first launch of Live didn't complete. Difficult to say.

I can only suppose there is an older version of Live and Rewire or parts of them still in his computer.

Any suggestion is welcome,

WD

How do I turn off Multi Processing Support in Logic Pro X? Trouble with ReWiring Live to Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.