Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TLS 1.2 for iPhone mail client?

How do I tell staff to configure their Apple mail app to not use anything other than TLS 1.2?

Connector report in Exchange Online is showing several staff iPhones using insecure TLS when sending mail using the native app.

TLS1.0/1.1 Apple-iPhone11C8/1604.57

TLS1.0/1.1 Apple-iPhone8C1/1604.39

TLS1.0/1.1 Apple-iPhone10C4/1604.57

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 7:35 AM

3 replies

Mar 25, 2019 7:56 AM in response to obx_bum

I think this will work; the iPhone mail app will use the highest level offered by the server. But if the account has been on the phone for a long time and the server was only subsequently upgraded the mail app may be out of date. There are two things the user has to do:

1. Update to the latest version of iOS, which as of 3/25 is 12.1.4. Note that phones older than the 5S cannot be updated to iOS 12.
  2. Delete the Exchange account and add it back.

If the phone is already at 12.1.4 step 2 is the only one needed.

One of my user associates is an Exchange admin; I'll ask him to look if this doesn't resolve the problem.

Mar 25, 2019 8:46 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the quick reply.

2 of them are already running 12.1.4, one is still running 12.1.3.

Your response would lead me to believe that it (mail client) does not negotiate the connection on every attempt to send e-mails. This would be an oversight by Apple developers if true.

I would expect that the sender and server establish highest supported protocol during every connection.

I have meeting scheduled with one staff to ensure the mail app is up to date and to remove and re-sync the account, and see if it fixes the problem.

TLS 1.2 for iPhone mail client?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.