Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall retired, stolen iPhone to find my phone?

Can I Reinstall my retired, locked, stolen iPhone, to “Find My iphone” app, using the IMEI and serial numbers, if I never changed the settings on the phone itself, but deleted the phone from the app, not realizing that you are never supposed to delete your old retired phones?

No one ever told me NOT to delete your old phones, that you don’t use, but don’t sell, and my last one was stolen! I reported it to fraud alert, and they “blacklisted” it, because someone is trying very hard to retrieve my passcode by sending text messages and calling me, offering me discounts and deals in services, and I believe it was a “service tech,” who has all my private account information, trying to break into the account! Please help!!

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 4:41 PM

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock (formerly: Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner’s account) - An activation lock can only be removed using the log-in information for the account that applied the lock. Not IMEI or serial number.

https://support.apple.com/HT201441

Apple may remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. The device is normally taken to an Apple Store with identification and the original sales receipt (i.e., when the item was sold to the first owner), preferably one with that person's name on it. There is apparently no set policy (I asked at an Apple Store) and a store may simply refuse, particularly if they are not satisfied you have proven ownership by provenance.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2019 4:41 PM in response to slklutz

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock (formerly: Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner’s account) - An activation lock can only be removed using the log-in information for the account that applied the lock. Not IMEI or serial number.

https://support.apple.com/HT201441

Apple may remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. The device is normally taken to an Apple Store with identification and the original sales receipt (i.e., when the item was sold to the first owner), preferably one with that person's name on it. There is apparently no set policy (I asked at an Apple Store) and a store may simply refuse, particularly if they are not satisfied you have proven ownership by provenance.

Mar 25, 2019 6:08 PM in response to Eric Root

We should be told not to delete retired phones unless selling them... I am heartbroken to lose original recordings of my late mother playing the piano, when Apple still cannot solve my startup disc problem with my Mac so I can be assured it won’t crash!! I can’t copy onto disk, the recordings because there is no space, and the iCloud Drive is all messed up after countless hours at the Genius Bar. So disappointed...losing this old phone was like a back up copy! Devastated!!

Mar 25, 2019 8:37 PM in response to slklutz

I guess I have not really been following what is going on. It seemed to me you had an old phone that was activation locked and you now wanted to use. You can't just turn on the phone, have it connect to your wi-fi and then have it realize you have deleted it from Find My in iCloud which means it is also removed from the phone too?

Mar 27, 2019 3:42 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes, and I did, however, Apple was never able to solve the issue of “startup disk is full. Delete some files to create space” from my Mac, despite having purchased more space on the cloud, the, changing all the necessary setting to optimize space within the photo storage, and many hours spent at the Genius Bar. I have deleted, and deleted hordes of photos, and videos, this past year, but the Mac “wants” to update its OS, and there is not enough room! So frustrating!

Mar 27, 2019 4:22 PM in response to Limnos

No, not quite. The retired iPhone 6+, was turned off through AT & T, sitting in a drawer, and then stolen by someone working in my home! I activated, and use my iPhone 7. Earlier this month, I went to charge the I phone 6+, only to view and remove via Bluetooth, which I thought could still be done if the phone was inactive, but maybe it was possible, if plugged directly into the Mac, but I thought I had done it with an old phone once before, but it was gone!

I had caught some workers in my house 2 weeks ago, on my security cameras, stealing, and fired them! Then I realized that, 2 weeks before that, we had discovered some drawers in our bedroom had been opened, & not been closed completely, that shouldn’t have been touched, on a day another group of those workers were in my home, workers from the same company!

Unfortunately, the iPhone 6+, wasn’t stored where there was a security camera, and it’s disappearance took place between the drawer incident and the firing of the employees, because I had just removed an item from the drawer where the phone was, used it and returned it, the day before the employees were due to arrive in my home to work, and it was in the drawer when I opened it that day! It had been since I bought my iPhone 7.

I’ve had an iPhone since the iPhone 3, and know you can’t just turn it on and use it on a network, but I have been able to see photos or music , or items stored.

But I didn’t know that you have to keep all your old phones listed on the “find my phone” app. I assumed that as you disconnect them from use, you delete them from that app. I never intended to sell them, so I never erased them. So I reported it to the fraud department as stolen, and they “blacklisted” the phone. It is now “activation locked,” associated with my email, etc, so it cannot be used, and I have the proof of purchase.

Does this explain my situation better?

Limnos wrote:

I guess I have not really been following what is going on. It seemed to me you had an old phone that was activation locked and you now wanted to use. You can't just turn on the phone, have it connect to your wi-fi and then have it realize you have deleted it from Find My in iCloud which means it is also removed from the phone too?

Reinstall retired, stolen iPhone to find my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.