Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up to External HD over WiFi

My setup is a bit abnormal. Here's my hardware configuration-

MacBook Pro (9.2)=> WiFi=> Frontier/ Arris NVG580 DSL modem/router (USB port disabled)=> Ethernet to=> D-Link DIR645 router=> USB 2.0=> WD My Book 500GB ext HD.

I've been using HD connected directly to MBP via Firewire & Time Machine for backups. I'd like to go wireless.

2nd router gives me a USB port to connect to HD.

I'm aware Apple won't support this but can it work?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 26, 2019 7:56 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 26, 2019 8:49 AM in response to BikerPaul

When you use any Network Disk as a backup destination, Time Machine will create a sparse bundle disk image (a Volume inside a File) to store the backup. So you can not use your existing backup drive "as is".

The late James Pond wrote a wonderful set of illustrated, approachable articles on Time machine related subjects, and had a lot to say about this setup. He said it is not reliable, and if you use it, you should have another backup method as well.

.Pondini's Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions -- 2. What can Time Machine back up, and where can it put it’s backups

Mar 26, 2019 11:15 AM in response to BikerPaul

Grant is quite correct - it is possible to make this work for a time but it isn't just unreliable - it will break. There will come a day when you get the error message that TimeMachine was unable to complete the backup and you'll never get it working again short of erasing the backup drive and starting over. I don't know what kind of magic Apple used in its TimeCapsules that made them reliable but whatever it was, I've not yet come across another router that has it. You may find that another backup program will work reliably with a NAS but I eventually ran an Ethernet cable from my wiring closet to my desktop to back up to my NAS - not with TimeMachine though. I used another backup program.

Mar 26, 2019 12:47 PM in response to BikerPaul

Most folks are using a cheap NAS, which is a small built-in computer inside a drive enclosure (usually running linux) that makes the drive appear as a station on their network.

You can hang that on Wi-Fi if you insist, but Ethernet completes the transfers faster and does not slow down your web-surfing much. Of course you could go Ethernet from one of your Routers and Wi-Fi computer-to-Router (or any other combination of wired and wireless) if you prefer.

Mar 26, 2019 1:30 PM in response to BikerPaul

Yeah, the reason I want to do this is so I don't have to drag out the HD, plug it in and run a cable to my MacBook every time I want to do a backup.

I hope to end up with laptop=> WiFi=> Router/DSL modem A (USB port disabled)=> DSL=> internet then ethernet from router A to router B (bridge?)(live USB port)=> USB 2=> HD. And use Time Machine to back things up. I think my chances are slim but I'm going to keep trying anyway.

BUT- I just spoke with Frontier (ISP) and they said I should try eliminating router A>> MacBook=> WiFi=> router B=> DSL modem=> internet plus router B=> USB=> HD. He said as long as I don't have phone or TV with Frontier there shouldn't be a problem.

BTW

13" MacBook Pro mid-2012 m9.2

router A- Frontier/Arris VGN589

router B- D-Link DIR645

HD- WD MyBook 500GB

ADSL2+ modem- Netgear DM111PSP v2

Stay tuned

Backing up to External HD over WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.