Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupt user account / user folder

I had several apps that would quit at launch.
Retrospect
Quark 7
Quark 8

And Safari and Firefox would quit when I attempted to log into apple forums.

Repair permissions did not work. Repair from DVD did not work.
The applications have "custom access"

username = Read & Write
username = Read & Write
staff = Read & Write
everyone = Read Only

I cannot delete either of the "username" names.

I made a test account and now the apps launch just fine.

So my questions are:
*How do I repair my first user folder*
*and how do I get the custom access with the 2 duplicate "username" names back to a default access situation.*

FWIW this all happened because my desktop icons and some folder icons were not displaying properly or at all. I restarted and then tis all happened.

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 9:03 AM

7 replies

Jul 12, 2010 9:36 AM in response to Jack Ball

Jack Ball wrote:
Repair permissions did not work. Repair from DVD did not work.

That's because Repair Permissions doesn't touch anything inside the Home folder(s)
To repair permissions within the Home folder...

1.Start up from your Install Disk 1 that came with your computer.
2.Choose your language.
3. Choose "Reset Password" from the "Utilities" Menu.
Don't worry we are not going to do that.
4. Choose the option at the bottom to Repair Permissions and ACLs on your Home Folder.
5. When finished restart from HDD.

FWIW this all happened because my desktop icons and some folder icons were not displaying properly or at all. I restarted and then tis all happened.

This sounds like LaunchServices to me....
These are only cache files but can get corrupted.
First get your permissions repaired then run this...
These are only cache files but can get corrupted.
Launch /Utilities/Terminal and copy & paste this at the command line to rebuild LaunchServices:

Code:

<pre class="alt2" style="margin:0px; padding:3px; border:1px inset; width:640px; height:34px; overflow:auto">

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

</pre>

Then press return. Wait until terminal returns to the command line. Quit Terminal. After that, log out and back in or restart. Let us know

User uploaded file
-mj

Message was edited by: macjack

Jul 12, 2010 11:58 AM in response to macjack

I tried the first half of this but it didn't solve either issue. The Icons have been fine after the restart.
How does this affect the assignment of a user/permission on an application?
How do I delete or change a permission that is grayed out on an application after I unlock the sharing?
How do I get the default permissions back?

system = read & write
admin = read & write
everyone = read only

Jul 12, 2010 12:17 PM in response to Jack Ball

Jack Ball wrote:
I tried the first half of this but it didn't solve either issue. The Icons have been fine after the restart.
How does this affect the assignment of a user/permission on an application?

It doesn't. Repair Permissions from the disk should have.
How do I delete or change a permission that is grayed out on an application after I unlock the sharing?

It shouldn't be grayed out when you unlock from an admin account.
How do I get the default permissions back?

Go to Applications/Utilities/Terminal... if you can launch it enter this command
sudo chown root:admin /Applications

Press Return. You will be asked for your password. It will be invisible.
Press return.
next enter
sudo chmod 775 /Applications

Press return.

User uploaded file
-mj

Message was edited by: macjack

Jul 14, 2010 7:25 AM in response to macjack

Wheel is still there after running suggested terminal commands but the 2nd username is gone.

NOW what I have is a problem installing quark. the installer got to the agree to terms and conditions then just quit. When I attempted the install under the test user account software was installed just fine.
So it appears that the original user account is completely jacked up. Is there hope to fix it?
Should I just work under the test account?
Can I bring my settings/dock/desktop/mail/printer setups and all the things I have established for 16 months from my original account to this new one?

Jul 14, 2010 7:38 AM in response to Jack Ball

Jack Ball wrote:
NOW what I have is a problem installing quark.

Oh please, Quark @#$%!
Should I just work under the test account?
Can I bring my settings/dock/desktop/mail/printer setups and all the things I have established for 16 months from my original account to this new one?

Yes, you can just overwrite the content of all your folders Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc with the same from your user. Ideally, you'll want to baqckup all and re-install when you get the chance.

User uploaded file
-mj

Corrupt user account / user folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.