Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers File Problem

Grateful for help with this simple problem which I could sort easily on a PC but it foxes me on a Mac.  A Numbers spreadsheet was created TODAY and showed up clicking Numbers , Open Recent and there it was as created TODAY.  Needed to get it on another Mac so thought I had copied it to a USB stick.  Turned out that I had moved it completely from where it was on the first Mac and I cannot get it back to where it started.  The best I have managed is to get the spreadsheet back onto the desktop of the first Mac but I cannot find a command to ‘import’ or copy it to the location where it showed as recently created.  If this makes sense to anyone, I would appreciate instructions how to restore the file from its original location.  Many Thanks.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 26, 2019 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2019 12:37 PM

Put the file where you want it in the "Finder" (the equivalent of Windows File Explorer) and, then, switch to Numbers and use the menu item "File > Open…"

now navigate to the file, then select the file.

Now that file should appear in the recent items folder. You don't "put" things in the recent items list you open them and the list is updated because of that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2019 12:37 PM in response to Community User

Put the file where you want it in the "Finder" (the equivalent of Windows File Explorer) and, then, switch to Numbers and use the menu item "File > Open…"

now navigate to the file, then select the file.

Now that file should appear in the recent items folder. You don't "put" things in the recent items list you open them and the list is updated because of that.

Mar 26, 2019 10:20 PM in response to Community User

If you want to access the document from more than one Mac then perhaps the most convenient approach is to save it in iCloud Drive. Both Macs need to be signed into the same iCloud account (System Preferences > iCloud) and iCloud Drive needs to be turned on and Numbers.app checked after clicking the Options... button next to iCloud Drive. After that you won't have to guess where you might have saved your document, and no fooling with USB sticks, etc.

A bonus is that you can also access the document from iOS devices.

SG

Numbers File Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.