Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health app steps getting more inaccurate.

I’ve noticed this over the last two months. Yesterday I walked over five miles which I can’t go in 4300 steps and 4 times as many stair floors. Does this need to be recalibrated? iPhone 7 up to date os

Posted on Mar 27, 2019 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2019 10:41 AM

The step counter in the health application uses the gyroscope, accelerometer, GPS and other sensors to detect if you are walking. 

Each step can be counted by isolating the shock and velocity that is gained and then lost at each step gives a +1 step to the counter.

Next up, you should visit the Health app. Here you will have to tell the iPhone how tall you are, how much you weight so that it can better estimate your stride length, and then it will add the step count to the Health app’s dashboard.

Also you need to maintain your Age & Gender in the health App.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2019 10:41 AM in response to bocjonah

The step counter in the health application uses the gyroscope, accelerometer, GPS and other sensors to detect if you are walking. 

Each step can be counted by isolating the shock and velocity that is gained and then lost at each step gives a +1 step to the counter.

Next up, you should visit the Health app. Here you will have to tell the iPhone how tall you are, how much you weight so that it can better estimate your stride length, and then it will add the step count to the Health app’s dashboard.

Also you need to maintain your Age & Gender in the health App.

Health app steps getting more inaccurate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.