Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation doubling

After the latest system upgrade, when Dictation is used (with Enhanced Dictation selected), the displayed stream gets doubled. For example, saying "12345" results in the display of "1234512345", usually (but not always) with the doubled entry having small blue dots under it. Interestingly, this does not happen when in the URL box within Safari, but does happen within text entry boxes on various websites. Anybody see this problem? Cures?

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 6:26 PM

Stranger still .... I removed the .plist and SpeechRecognitionCore as described in the appletoolbox.com description you provided. Rebooted, turned OFF Dictation, then turned ON Dictation and disabled "Use Enhanced Dictation". Now it works! Turning off Enhanced Dictation without removing those files first and rebooting did not work at all. Thanks for the help!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2019 6:26 PM in response to BDAqua

Stranger still .... I removed the .plist and SpeechRecognitionCore as described in the appletoolbox.com description you provided. Rebooted, turned OFF Dictation, then turned ON Dictation and disabled "Use Enhanced Dictation". Now it works! Turning off Enhanced Dictation without removing those files first and rebooting did not work at all. Thanks for the help!

Mar 30, 2019 5:30 AM in response to BDAqua

One last comment ... While the above fix seemed to work, it was not solid in that it would fail periodically (weird, heh?). Started thinking about issues that Safari has had in the past with certain text entry boxes, so I moved to Mozilla Firefox. All the problems disappeared -- with and without Enhanced Dictation worked perfectly. So, I'm guessing that this is an issue with Safari. I'm using Version 12.1 (13607.1.40.1.5)

Dictation doubling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.