Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving accidentally deleted text conversation

I am relatively new to using an iPhone, (I recently switched from Android). The other day I was trying to delete just a couple of individual texts and ended up accidentally deleting the whole conversation. I had months of important info from this one person that is now gone. Is there any way I can recover it back onto my iPhone, similar to how on a Windows computer you have a “recycle bin” where you can go into and undelete it? Thanks

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2019 4:05 PM

There is always a confirmation to ask you if you really want to delete a message thread before it was deleted, that's to ensure you don't inadvertently delete a thread.

Beyond that protection, you can only recover the thread by restoring your iPhone to your last backup. The problem there is (a) the age of your last backup, (b) any activity since your last backup would be lost forever, and most importantly (c) your Messages are not part of your backup at all if you've enabled Messages in iCloud.

So your backup may save you, but only if you're NOT using Messages in iCloud (check your iCloud settings). If you're not using this feature, then see below on how to restore to your last backup:

iCloud: Restore or set up iOS devices from an iCloud backup

-or -

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

(this is for an iTunes backup, if you're using iTunes for your backup

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2019 4:05 PM in response to Mondo13

There is always a confirmation to ask you if you really want to delete a message thread before it was deleted, that's to ensure you don't inadvertently delete a thread.

Beyond that protection, you can only recover the thread by restoring your iPhone to your last backup. The problem there is (a) the age of your last backup, (b) any activity since your last backup would be lost forever, and most importantly (c) your Messages are not part of your backup at all if you've enabled Messages in iCloud.

So your backup may save you, but only if you're NOT using Messages in iCloud (check your iCloud settings). If you're not using this feature, then see below on how to restore to your last backup:

iCloud: Restore or set up iOS devices from an iCloud backup

-or -

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

(this is for an iTunes backup, if you're using iTunes for your backup

Retrieving accidentally deleted text conversation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.